Multiple Sclerosis Community
Itching as a symptom?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Itching as a symptom?

I am curious to ask others if they have ever experienced itching as an MS symptom.

The reason for my question is I am currently going through another battle with persistent itching on my forearms which happens to me quite frequently. In the past I have always put this down to an allergy of some kind and have gone through a list of anything new I have used - cosmetics, laundry products, shower gel, body lotion, foods, etc.

Anyway, this has led me to throw away many expensive items believing they were  the cause – and indeed I am very sensitive to certain products - but this time as so many times in the past I cannot find any cause.

The itching wakes me in the night and I often wake up with marks on my arms where I have scratched myself.

Any others have similar experiences with this at all?

Pat
I am currently undx but do have itching as a symptom. I was told it was a paraesthesia. In the past my forearms, one small area by my shoulder blade (of course just out  of my reach) and my feet (different areas). Currently, it's the underside of  my left big toe, especially after a warm (not hot) shower.

Rendean

i get what i have finally decided is hives, i break out with welts and itch like crazy. I think it is a reaction from a medication possably. Or it could be from something else, but it is hives.  I take allergy meds for it.

hope yours clears up ....

hgs, meg
I am not diagnosed with MS or anything else, but YES I have had some very weird itching.

A large spot on my lower shin that I scratched for months and months, until the hair was mostly gone and the skin thick and reddish.

A long period where I had mild but persistent itching around the very edges of my eyelids and lips, and also the tops of my ears and just behind my ears and a spot in the middle of the right side of my forehead. The forehead spot would suddenly itch (the stabbing-quality itch) after I'd been out on my neighborhood walk--with internal heat generated by exercise, which also always brings on my Lhermitte's, among other things.

A small spot on my back. Itch, itch, itch...

Worst of all was my left nostril. (During a time when I had developed other facial sensations such as shocks and a "warm" spot on the side of my nose.) Besides feeling like there was always a cat hair on the outside of the nostril, I would often get a sudden strong "stabbing itch" up the nostril.

Nancy T.
I have neurologic symptoms similar to MS, but have not been dx-ed with MS.  Anyway, I'm itchy oftentimes around my face and around my neck mostly. I also get the laundry list of parathesis symptoms. Drives me crazy. Itch is as irritating as the pain.
Hi Pat,

I'm undx, but this symptom is what first led me to check out MS.  My itching is in my feet and hands, and nothing will relieve it, not even cortizone cream. It has improved over the winter months, but still happens regularly.

I found a previous post by Quix about this symptom and thought it might help, so I copied her response to this question and it's pasted below.
_________________________________________________________________

by Quixotic1
posted Dec 18, 2008

Yes, I don't have it, but itching is well-known to be one of the most intolerable of the paresthesias caused by MS.  I would think that one of the meds used for the other kinds of paresthsias might be useful for this, like neurontin (gabapentin), Lyrica, carbamazepine, etc.

You can read the Health Page (see the upper right hand corner and click on Health Pages).  Read the article called Paresthesias - Things that go Buzz in the Night.

Generally putting things on the skin will not work, because the skin condition is not the cause of the itching.  It is faulty brain signals.  

To be through it wouldn't hurt to be seen by a dermatologist to rule out a treatable skin condition.  If none is found, then have your neurologist treat it as a paresthesia.  If that happens also read the Health Page on Treating Nerve (Neuropathic) Pain.

Be careful not to get overheated.  If this is a paresthesia, then getting hot (like a hot shower) can make it worse.

Yes, paroxysmal (sudden bouts of) itching are well-known in MS.

Quix
______________________________________________________________

Hope the itching gets better, I know how aggravating this symptom is!!

doni
I'm still undiagnosed at this point, but yeah, I've had the "itching spells" so bad that I've made myself bleed.  They just come and go at random....like everything else!!   I haven't had them in awhile...hoping not to ever have them again (wishful thinking probably?) !!
~tj
Thanks so much for all your answers I will check out the the health pages - no wonder I was dismissed for so many years - even I subscribed to trying everything else to cure it.

You have all helped me so much  in the time I have been here  and I am learning more every day.

Love to all
Pat
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I had EXTREME itching, but it wasn't like itchy skin itching. It was a deep, to the bone itch, caused by the non-stop tingling and pins and needles. My husband would catch me DIGGING at my leg (other than the tingling and pins and needles, I had no feeling in most of my leg from the knee down) to the point that it was almost bleeding. There was no amount of scratching that helped, nor would it, obviously, but I couldn't help it. It would itch to the point that it would have me crying. Again, it was all from the tingling. Not sure if this is the same thing you're describing? If so, Neurontin worked wonders for my pain/tingling/pins and needles.
First I love your screen names that's great!

No its not as deep inside the limb as that it does feel as though it is on the skin but it burns too especially if I scratch it and at night when my arms are under the covers in bed it wakes me up itching and burning.

I have just read the health page on  paresthesia as Doni54 suggested and that was an eye opener. I have had this on and off for about 5 years too but not mentioned it to the doc - better add it to my list

Pat
The only trouble I have with discussions like this is that I realize more and more things that I've accepted as part of life over the years that could have been explained by MS.  Itching, depression, and arrhythmia are among the items I should go back and work into my timeline.  Next thing I know someone will tell me that MS can cause gray hair.  If so, I should get a dx retroactive to my 20s.
I just logged in it's Staurday morning in the UK, the sun is shining and you have just made me really titter - that's great - maybe wrinkles too eh

lol
Pat
x