Multiple Sclerosis Community
Jaw pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Jaw pain

I have been diagnosed with ms recently, and have jaw pain on one side, that moves into ear and whole jaw, and sometimes under chin, do you know if this is related to ms? Thank you.
Hi 1987

Cry1987.. does this mean that you're twenty-one and in a lot of pain..  I'm so sorry you're going through this .  It does sound like it could be trigeminal neuralgia(sp)..There is a vast amount of info on the web about this and many of the forum members have gone through TN, myself included ..  Its not fun

Are you see a neuro , has he/she prescribed anything for it.  You could also have something else , like TMJ , you really need to have this looked at.

Are you on any med. for the MS ?

If you would like to share we would like to hear your story..  We're VERY friendly here ...:) :)      This seems to be a very slow morning .Other will be along to chime in

Stay with us and get some great info and support..WE CARE

Love and shining white healing light

Jo
No, not 21, try 39. 21 did sound good though, The only medicine i'm on right now is Rebif, 3 times a week, I know it's not a side effect of the shots, because i had this before i started taking the shot, i have never heard of trigeminal neuralsia, so i will check the boards and check this out, I just thought i was having bad sinus infections or something, but after getting antibiotics, it still doesn't go away, so what kind of doctor do i go to for these symptoms? i thought if it was ms, i could go to my neurologist doctor, Thanks for your info and help.
Does it ache, or does it feel muscular, like a cramp?

when I have TN, it sometimes manifests as a burning sensation on my gum.  I also get aches in my jaw and throat muscles, like something wants to cramp.  Last Xmas I had jaw weakness - couldn't chew a piece of candy cane!
yes, sometimes i feel little bumps under skin, they hurt, burn, and then i can't feel the bumps, they move or go away and come back.
I agree with Jen.  The most likely cause for pain along the jaw - if you have ruled out dental pain - is, indeed, Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN).  The pain of TN can be one of the most severe pains known.  This usually indicates an MS lesion somewhere from the brainstem to along the Trigeminal nerve which is one of the Cranial nerves.

It usually is severe stabbing pains which come with some sort of stimulation.  The stim can be anything like touching the face or lips, chewing, stim to the tongue, even as mild as air blowing on the face.

Many researchers in the field also acknowledge an "Aytpical" Trigeminal Neuralgia.  In this the pain may be constant, lasting for 50% or more of the waking hours.  This pain may be felt as a deep ache or boring pain.  The stabbing pains may happen on top of it.  However, many neurologists do not seem to be aware of the Atypical TN or do not accept it.  I had it last year and my neurologist was quite aware of it.

If what I described sounds like what you have you can take a diagnostic questionaire online to further diagnose it.

This is a good site to read about it and to take the questionaire:

fpa-support.org

or the actual page to find it on is:

http://www.fpa-support.org/links/index.html

The link for the questionaire is about halfway down the page.

The firstline drug used to treat the pain of TN is carbamazepine (Tegretol).  But, other drugs used for nerve pain can also be effective.  The carbamazepine worked wonderfully for me.  Regular pain meds like Tylenol, Motrin, Codeine are not usually very effective.

I hope this helps.

Quix
I forgot to mention that Trigeminal Neuralgia is 300 times more common in MS than it is in the general population.  So, yes, it would be related to the MS.

Q
Thank you for info, I'm heading to this website right now to take questionaire, i will see if this sounds like my problem, Thanks for everyones help!!
I just took questionare, according to my answers, it says i have TN2, type 2, so is this an issue i need to talk to special doctor about, family or neurologist, i go back to neurologist at end of december. Thank you