Multiple Sclerosis Community
Know of any MS Specialists in Texas?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Know of any MS Specialists in Texas?

I am curious if anyone knows of any MS specialists in East Texas or the Dallas area.  It would be very helpful so I could get some answers.

Thanks!!
Hello!  I was born in Texas and grew up mostly in Louisiana, so I am familiar with your area.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any specialists in that area.  Here is an idea for you, and it worked for me:

My health insurance is through Blue Cross Blueshield.  I have a plan that requires me to use in-network providers.  I went to their website and looked up my particular plan.  Then I looked up all neurology practices that were in-network in my area.  I printed that list out, and then I went to each of those practice's websites.  Most neurology practices these days will post pictures of each of the physicians in their group, where they obtained their degree and did their internship/residency, what their clinical special interest area is, etc.

I found some groups that looked good to me (most I couldn't see because I had already seen another physician with that group.  You may run into this if you have seen several neurologists trying to get a diagnosis.)  and then I started looking at the neurologists.  I was looking at gender (I know this sounds sexist, but I thought maybe a female would be more understanding) and I was also looking at where they went to school, but especially what their area of interests were.  I found a female neuro that has won several awards for her work in our area and has a special interest in multiple sclerosis.  In fact, the majority of her patients are ms patients.  I told my GP that she was the one I wanted to see, and they got me in within about two weeks. I have been very pleased with her thus far.

I'm sure you probably know you can also go to your area ms society chapter and get a listing of specialists that way.  They weren't able to help me much for my area.

I hope this helps you some.  Good luck in your search.

Jenn
Thank you so much!!  I will do just that and see what happens.

I was also born in Louisiana (S'port)

Thanks again for the advice!
I grew up in Shreveport, Ruston, and Monroe until I moved to Memphis to become a flight attendant.  I stayed when I met my husband.  I still have family all over Lousiana and Texas.  I bet it is boiling down there.  I know it is hot here, but there is nothin like a Texas summer to wipe you out!  Make sure you stay in the a/c as much as possible.  If you do have MS, heat is the worst thing for you.  Stay in touch and let me know if you find someone.

Jenn
I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!
I live in San Antonio (was born and raised here) but lived in Houston for 7 years. There is the Maxine Mesinger MS clinic in Houston - (Maxine was a writer who had MS). Houston has a VERY renowned medical center, and it is located at Baylor University, so I am sure it is fantastic. I don't know what it takes to get an appt. there as I have not pursued that avenue yet. But, you may want to check it out. The link is: http://www.bcm.edu/neurol//struct/ms/ms_mmc.html.

Jamie
READ AT BOTTOM OF THAT SITE LINK:

Patients can be self-referred; you do not have to be referred by a physician.For more information or to make an appointment call: (713) 798-6296

Now, that is a blessing!
Hey, Kiddo!  Good to see you!  How are you doing and what's happening?
Quix
Tylermom - Not to confuse you, I think its actually located at The Methodist Hospital - but its essentially next door to Baylor and they are in partnership.

Quix - I am doing pretty good actually! I just posted my MRI results today - no lesions according to Neuro though I don't have the actual report yet. I opted to wait on the LP if and until I have any symptoms again. I am virtually symptom free at this point. There's a bit more in my post...

I am glad you have decided to focus on the MS forum, for your sake. Although I stalk the neuro forum as well and am so intrigued by all the information you share and the knowledge I gain from reading your posts! I've always enjoyed learning so I suppose this is yet another way for me to satisfy that need, ha ha!
I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking around, even if I don't have MS because I just want to know how all of you are doing.  I read your posts with Christina and I am just so glad that you have your sister with you and that "working" on this forum gives you joy. Have a good night!

Jamie
You can also search for an MS specialist in your area through the National MS Society website:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/cgi-bin/nmss_search.cgi

I'll be back tomorrow to talk to you.  Quix
I just wanted to thank you both so much for your information and I will be working on this today.

Thanks again!!
Tylermom