Multiple Sclerosis Community
Lamictal?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Lamictal?

Just curious if anyone is on this med and how long to takes to work?  I have been on it about 4 weeks or so, and I am still titrating up to the full dosage, which should be in the next 2 weeks. (I am taking it to see if it will prevent my head/scalp/face/ear neuralgia's.)

I am just wondering if you have to wait until you are on the full dosage to see if there is any improvement?

Thanks,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,  

I know a little about Lamictal.  I know it is used for mood stabilization for depression or Bipolar illness.  It does have the possibility of a very serious rash as a side effect too.  

I didn't know it was used for TN or other facial pain.  Please let us know how it works.  

I would think you would start getting benefit of it within the next 2 weeks.

Red  

Hello :)

One of my daughters takes it for Partial Seizures but this med can also be used in the treatment of bi-polar Disorder.

It is also uded "Off Label" for  peripheral neuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, cluster headaches, migraines, and reducing neuropathic pain.

I also recently went to an MS Seminar who uses this medication (off label) in some of his patients who have AD.  I am actually going to talk to my EP doc and my Neuro about trying this for my AD.

I hope this works for you. Keep us posted on how it works for you.
Take Care,
~Tonya

My son is on it - and it was a Godsend for him!!  It can really help bipolars - he felt a huge difference within a day to a day and a half of being on it - but he was on it for a different reason than you are.  It can be a very effective mood stabilizer.

Yes there is the potential for a rash possibly leading to a serious skin side effect - Stevens-Johnson syndrome - but it is reputedly rare and, from what I have read, is more likely in younger patients.  Also, that skin side effect is said to usually appear sometime in the beginning of taking the medication.  I'd never heard of it being used for neuralgias - just as an anti-epileptic or as a mood stabilizer.

Hope it works for you!

WAF