Multiple Sclerosis Community
Left leg feels as though it is about to give way.

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hiya,

Just a quick question, my left leg sometimes feels as though it is going to give way any second, it doesn't feel particularly tired when it does this but just feels a little weaker than my right and that it is about to buckle. does anyone else feel this?

Although my left leg does get tired quickly and I have to work harder with it than my right I haven't felt this odd buckling feeling before. However it hasn't buckled, could this be something that happens at a later stage, it is a bit worrying as I am a fairly energetic person who enjoys sports, when I am not too tired.

I am diagnosed with "it looks like you have ms" but it isn't set in stone.

thanks everyone.
Yes - that happens to me, also in my left leg.  I will get a sensation of weakness and then an odd feeling in my hamstring area that I can only describe as sort of ticklish and hypersensitive on the surface of the skin, then the feeling like it's about to buckle but it doesn't.  Episodes are very brief but it happens several times a week, more frequently lately though I did do a lot more walking in the past two weeks than I have in some time.

I'm dx'ed RRMS 5 years and so far have had no trouble with walking.
Hi, yes, I get this too and it does worry me slightly as I was only dx in Feb this year and yet loads has happened. I'm very active too and walk loads. I guess with ms there is no 'normal' as its so unique every time
Ah, a member of our inclusive little club!  Yes, leg buckling happens with nerve damage.  I have several lesions in my spine, and I think it's the one at T10 that causes the problem.

At first I assumed there was nothing to be done about it, and I was just going to have to get a knee brace - my hamstring and flexor muscle are weak.  But after going to physical therapy, I learned some tricks to keep my knee from collapsing.  The main thing is to remember to keep your toe up, and the rest of the leg will follow.
Let's try this again.

Do any of you also get the ticklish thing right before or while this is happening?
You know, sometimes I'll get a paresthesia - a pinprick or buzzy sensation or something, usually in my hip or buttock, sometimes in my knee.  It'll get worse, until my leg jerks in response.  I think it's a myoclonus thing.  I get a tingling in my torso that turns into a myoclonic jerk.

But the leg buckling is just simple weakness of the muscles.