Multiple Sclerosis Community
Leg Pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Leg Pain

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this, but last night my legs were aching really bad (the nerve of me, grocery shopping!!). But it was different (and more) than just an ache particularly in the left leg, so bear with me while I try to describe this.

It was a combination of the below sensations:

like the muscles were too big for the skin
like I couldn't relax the muscles
feeling reminded me of a sausage (I can't exactly explain why though)
achey (achy)/burning deep down

It kept me awake for quite a while, as I tried to relax and get comfortable, tossing and turning. Is this a sensory pain? Is it muscular? Is it common?
I guess I don't understand. Some days I can walk to town and back, with the kids (about20-30 minutes) and aside from some extra "shocks", there's no problem. And then some days I can't walk around the grocery store (it's really small) without paying like this. I'm not even sure it's a symptom.

ARG!! I just wish my symptoms at least had some consistency to them, then I would be so much less likely to forget them! I have had this leg pain before (although not this bad), but it's not in my timeline because I forgot about it.

Any suggestions on what to do for this sort of pain/discomfort?

Christine
(un-dx)

If you symptoms were always consitent then we would kick you out of our group for bing so different.  :)
I hope others here can pin down the type of leg pain you're having and its causes, for one thing because I have much the same kind. My legs ache and feel tight too, and the left is also worse. Sitting or lying when this is bad makes it even worse.

I've tried as many as 3 Advil (ibuprofen), and this takes the edge off the pain, but I don't want to take that over the long haul. It would be good to know whether the pain is neuropathic or whether is is actually from tight muscles and constant little spasms. Then getting the right med would seem to be somewhat simpler.

At the same time, unless it gets a lot worse I'm holding off calling my neuro. I just don't want to start on another prescription unless I really have to. Copaxone is enough to deal with for now.

ess
Hi Christine...I have an idea!  We live so close together, it must be the weather that is causing our pain!  Whatever we get, you get next so it only makes sense!

The pain in my legs today is excrutiating!  I went to the dollar store and got the dreaded groceries yesterday and by the time I got home the electrical storm going on in my feet was incredible!  Ouch

My legs have been killing me since halfway through aisle 3 in the grocery store...hardly got any sleep last night, feels like my skin is too tight, they feel like stuffed sausages...Mom says that is probably because they are swollen...hmmmm, guess they could be.

I have been on Neurontin, Tegretol, Topamax, Oxycodone, Advil, Tylenol, Prednisone. Heat, Cold and now Lyrica.  The side effects of the Lyrica are not fun...slurring my words, blurry vision, balance trouble, twitching, jerking...you name it EXCEPT IT ISN'T HELPING THE PAIN!!!

Sorry I can't offer any advice honey short of going to the doctor???  I know, what a stupid piece of advice eh?  It's something to do with the pain and your brain not working because of it ya know?   Yeah, I am becoming a little cynical and really sick and tired of all of this pain!  Best of Luck Christine honey and if you come up with something that works, please let me know ok?

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
I had a lightbulb moment going through getting used to this site. You all just made me feel like I am in the right spot  yet again, the grocery store!!! OH how I hate it, dread, beyond words lately and the other day someone asked me if I wanted to go to Costco...uh NO the cement on the floor the pain the huge store NO way.
my legs too ache bad today from shopping yesterday at a regular store and I put it off until I have no choice, although they lately my legs always hurt.

If I could pay someone to do one thing for me it would be shopping.

I haven't heard this drug mentioned here yet but I take Mobic it is similar to naproxen but works a bit better. Naproxen did nothing for me at least mobic touches it sometimes.

but be advised I am a newbie.......
Mary