Multiple Sclerosis Community
Lesions of spine! need answers please!!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Lesions of spine! need answers please!!

I am a 32 year old mother of 2 beautiful boys that is suffering and needs answers! I have been having severe upper back pain for some time now that just gets worse and worse. First docs thought it was due to my stage 4 endometriosis so after trying to treat with no success he did a complete hysterectomy (ovaries and all) with no relief of back pain. Then dr tested gallbladder which came back normal, then went down throat into stomach with cameral thinking it was acid reflux due to other symptoms, that was normal. Then did mri of upper back and found "numerous lesions on spine" is what he said but he feels that is not the problem and then said he wanted me to go to my kidney specialist! I then said thanks but I will be pulling my records and going somewhere else. I have had medullary sponge kidney for 11yrs now with numerous kidney stones but I know this is not stone pain and not my kidneys as I am tested every 6 months for kidney function. Other symptoms are weight loss (about20lbs in 6months) extreme nausea, dizziness and lightheadedness which I figured was from not eating, headaches, and the back pain actually radiates around to the chest and I get chest pains that are pretty bad at times.  Now for the last 2 months I have been getting petechiae all over my body that comes and goes, went to walk in clinic when i noticed it and blood work was ok red count little high but still in norm range. Now I am having episodes of tingling that was in my toes and fingers but now my whole leg, left side, goes numb and tingly. I do not know where to turn or go. Should I worry about these lesions and if so what type of dr should i be seeking out? The pain is unbearable at times and I am really sick of dr's thinking i am nuts and wanting me on antidepressants. I will not take them cause I know I am not nuts. If anyone can give me any advise on what might be going on it will be greatly appreciated. All my symptoms point to ms or auto immune disorder however my old dr thinks the lesions are nothing??!! Please help.
Hi, and Welcome to the forum.  Many people will be by to welcome you and talk to you about your worries, but could I ask the favor of you copying your post below and inserting a lot more white space between paragraphs?

Many of us, me included, have a great deal of trouble tracking the lines in such long, unbroken text.  My eyes get lost and I lose the meaning of what you are saying.  I really want to give you a full and careful answer, but it needs to be easier to read.

So, if you would break it up into several smaller paragraphs with double spacing between them, like I have done here, it would be so appreciated.

I do want to ask if the lesions are on your spinal cord.  If they are this is very serious.  There are many fewer diseases that cause spinal cord lesions.  Also tell us how long your episodes last.  Are they hours, days, or weeks?

Have you had an MRI of your brain?

Quix, MD
I am a 32 year old mother of 2 beautiful boys that is suffering and needs answers! I have been having severe upper back pain for some time now that just gets worse and worse. First docs thought it was due to my stage 4 endometriosis so after trying to treat with no success he did a complete hysterectomy (ovaries and all) with no relief of back pain.

Then dr tested gallbladder which came back normal, then went down throat into stomach with cameral thinking it was acid reflux due to other symptoms, that was normal. Then did mri of upper back and found "numerous lesions on spine" is what he said but he feels that is not the problem and then said he wanted me to go to my kidney specialist! I then said thanks but I will be pulling my records and going somewhere else.

I have had medullary sponge kidney for 11yrs now with numerous kidney stones but I know this is not stone pain and not my kidneys as I am tested every 6 months for kidney function.

Other symptoms are weight loss (about20lbs in 6months) extreme nausea, dizziness and lightheadedness which I figured was from not eating, headaches, and the back pain actually radiates around to the chest and I get chest pains that are pretty bad at times.  

Now for the last 2 months I have been getting petechiae all over my body that comes and goes, went to walk in clinic when i noticed it and blood work was ok red count little high but still in norm range.

Now I am having episodes of tingling that was in my toes and fingers but now my whole leg, left side, goes numb and tingly. I do not know where to turn or go. Should I worry about these lesions and if so what type of dr should i be seeking out? The pain is unbearable at times and I am really sick of dr's thinking i am nuts and wanting me on antidepressants. I will not take them cause I know I am not nuts.

If anyone can give me any advise on what might be going on it will be greatly appreciated. All my symptoms point to ms or auto immune disorder however my old dr thinks the lesions are nothing??!! Please help.
Hi Quix,

Thanks so much for your response. I hope my second post is easier to read. I felt bad writing so much but I didn't want to leave anything out. :)

I do not know where they are exactly. The only thing the dr said to me was "numerous lesions found on spine." He then went on to say he feels after speaking with radiologist that they are benign and not the source of my pain.

I said to him what are these lesions from and isn't it a little odd that they are exactly where I say I am in constant pain? He said I dont know I think you are having some referred pain from a kidney stone and go see your urologist! That was it for me.

I pulled all my records and am getting the actual pictures but the department said they won't be ready til Tuesday so I can pick them up them. I have not had an mri of the brain even with all my other symptoms cause he thinks this is all in my head. He actually asked me if he could refer me to a psychologist.

I guess I just don't understand how lesions of the spine mean nothing.  As for my episodes I am not sure what you mean. My back pain is constant, times worse than others but always there. The tingling usually lasts the whole day and then it is gone then next day. I really haven't been tracking how long in between episodes.

I hope this helps a little. Thanks again for any info or help on where to go from here, I am really at my wits end here. This is affecting my life in all aspects of it.
Oh I also wanted to add that my night sweats are horrible as well, not sure if this is connected or hormonal. It has been 3 yrs since hysterectomy, they got better, still there but better, but the last few months they have intensified to worse than right after my hyst.

No I am not on any hormonal supplements that they recommend. I do not like medications and did not want the risks that went with them so I did this without any replacement therapy.
The pain, numbness and tingling you describe could be from spinal lesions.  However, the other symptoms you describe - night sweats, patechia, nausea, weight loss, and slightly high red cell count - these aren't MS symptoms.

So I owuld definitely seek more information on the spinal lesions.  Take a look at the Health Pages (upper right hand corner of the screen) and you'll find a page on Spinal Lesions, which will tell you some of what you need to know.

However, don't discount your other symptoms - they sound serious and could be causing much of your current pain.

I would seek a different neurologist, and get a 2nd opinion on your MRI films.  
Hi jensequitur,

Thanks so much for your response. I just wanted to clarify that I have never been to a neurologist. MRI was ordered by my family doctor and he is the one who said they were nothing.

I want to go see a neurologist but must be referred for insurance to cover it. So hopefully I can find a new regular doc who will refer me.

Thanks for the tips on where to go!! There is alot of great info on this site. Thanks again
Welcome from me, too.  With all that you describe, seeing a neurologist is definitely in order.

You might also consider seeing the psychologist  - it is a common thing around here and it is almostalways done to prove to the doubting doctors that the illness is real and not imagined.  Sometimes that is the only way to get past that thinking and get on with finding the real cause of the problems.

Good luck and stay in touch, ok?
Lulu
Hi There

I can understand your concern and anxiety about not knowing what the hell is going on in your body. I have no medical background and am just like many others on the site, someone who has MS and as I am recently dx'd am still finding out for myself what it is all about. However this site has helped me enormously and I have learnt soooooooooo much from others.

I would find another regular doctor and get a referral to a neurologist.  Ty and write down all that is going on for you with some sort of timeline (and there is help with this on the health pages about your first visist to a neurologist).

It sounds as if you have got a lot going on with existing medical history of kideny problems and having had a hysterectomy and the night sweats definitely sounds hormonal to me. There are also other things which do not fit MS as Jen said.

However the lesions on the spine need to be investigated further and if a neurologist has not examined radiographers's report then this is something which should be addressed.A normal doctor does not have the experience or training to advise. I would definitely try and get a brain MRI as well to rule out the possibility of any lesions there.

I think that I have probably just endorsed what others have said above. It cannot be easy caring for two little boys when you are feeling so bad, but what a blessing that you have your family and I hope that you have support with the daily tasks of looking after them.

Let us know how you get on, with love

Sarah x