Multiple Sclerosis Community
Limbs Falling Asleep part of MS???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Limbs Falling Asleep part of MS???

Lately my right arm and right leg have been falling asleep waaaayyyyy too easily. Every time I sit "Indian Style"
My right leg goes bye bye.  Not just falls asleep and wakes when I move it, it is dead to the world.  I have to physically move it with my arms, and the pins and needles as I move it is so unbearable sometimes I will have to site for 10 min while it wakes up before I can even move it at all.

My arm is more falling asleep when I lean on it like if I am laying on the floor and using my hand to prop up my head.  The pins and needles in my arm are not nearly as bad, but annoying.  

This only happens on the right and I have 2 know C-spine lesions and 1 or 2 possible t- spine lesions.  Could these be the cause of this, or is this a peripheral nerve issue?

I go to my PCP today luckily and of course will ask him, but I like to get input here to go in armed with :)

Thanks friends
D
I think that your extremities falling asleep is simply a circulation issue, rather than MS in particular.  
My feeling of asleep limbs is MS. I often have the feeling in my left arm  and leg and my right leg below the knee. I had this experience while riding last week. I do not have any reason for poor circulation.

Alex
k. I will address both issues with PCP today.  Thanks ladies.
I should say that I get a sensation in my limbs, similar to how they feel in the morning when I've just woken up.  It's kinda a sleepy weak feeling, if that makes any sense.

However, the classic pins and needles that I get is a little different, I think.
Hi there,
I guess if you are leaning on it and it happens then (although easily), it is most likely a peripheral thing, but if you have your leg go to sleep without any pressure on it (ie like crossed legs or laying on that side etc. then it is the nerve damage from your MS.  

I am not an expert but pins and needles are one of my biggest symptoms, infact that was what alerted me to go to the neurologist in the first place, as my hand would go tingly and feel like it had fallen asleep and stay numb and funny for hours, days, on and off, I thought it was poor circulation, but my hands were warm, originally I used to smoke so I thought it was caused by that but I was told in my case it was neurological. My pins and needles don't go away or get better when I shake my leg and try to get the circulation going, there doesn't seem to be a cause, but of cause there is, it's neurological.

Hope this has helped.
Cheers,
Udkas.
Let us know what your PCP has to say.
Update... PCP says it is both:)
neurological pain and thoracic outlet type symptoms from spasticity.  When I sit in certain positions or lean on my arm just right the spasticity I have going pinches off the blood flow.  This causes the rapid sleep of my limbs.  

The permanant pins and needles I have are obviously neurological.  I do take Lyrica for that.  So I guess everyone was right :)

If I didn't have insurance I might just come here instead of going to the Dr lol!

I am gonna try to post about the visit as my Dr is kinda cool.

D
Here's an interesting article on this http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/parts/question552.htm

It is ultimately a nerve problem, such as a pinched nerve or pressure on the nerve, but lack of blood flow can indirectly cause the peripheral nerves to malfunction from lack of nutrients. My brother has a genetic disorder that makes his limbs fall asleep easily and recover slowly. I tested negative for this, but my legs fell asleep quickly even before I had MS. I think the MS has exacerbated this tendency.

This sensation of being asleep or pins and needles can be caused by abnormalities in the central nervous system, but I don't know if pressure of the type that makes your limbs feel asleep can exacerbate that. Maybe by overloading the CNS with signals from the pressure and causing the abnormal CNS nerves to generate the feeling of limbs being asleep even before the pressure on the nerve normally would?

sho
PS Glad you had a good doctor visit and got some useful answers.