Looking for info
I am 42 years old and recently was told i may have atypical presentation of MS.  I have several white matter lesions around the lateral ventricles, frontal lobe and occipital lobe. The largest lesiin on tge occipital lobe has been causing some visual field deficits without having optic neuritis. I was misdiagnosed with a stroke and have been tested for Lyme, Lupus and blood clotting issues among other things. I recently had an LP and am waiting for the results. My neuro says that if it's positive I have mild MSThat wouldn't require DMD. I dont have any mobility issues and have only had 2 attacks since this all started 6 months ago. I have had some mild cognitive issues though and am wondering if it is MS, should I take DMD?
I sent you a msg, check your inbox!
Hello and welcome.

You will find very few here who believe in the concept of mild MS. What's negligible today could be fierce tomorrow, and we won't know till the end of our lives what our course will be.

The whole purpose of the DMDs is to minimize MS, as they can't cure it. To me it only make sense to keep things to a minimum through any and all medically acceptable channels.

In your shoes I would insist on one of these treatments, and if the doctor refuses, I'd see another doctor, armed with MRIs, etc. A neuro specializing in MS is very unlikely to advise no treatment.

ess
By the way, visual problems are the first symptoms in a great many cases of full-blown MS.
Thank you! I spoke with my GP and he said that my neuro isn't aggressive when it comes to treatment. If my LP is positive, I plan to have a very frank discussiin with the neuro. When the vision loss first occurred it was in both eyes and I was unable to drive for several weeks. That seems important enough for DMD in my book.
I agree with ess. MS is like pregnancy. You can't be sorta pregnant and you can't sorta have MS :-) You either have MS or you don't.

With the plethora of DMD's available there is no reason not to stay ahead of The Beast!

Just one man's opinion.

Kyle
Please have a frank discussion with your neurologist regardless of the LP's results. They are neither make or break when it comes to being diagnosed.

From our forum's health pages:
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Can-you-Diagnose-MS-with-an-LP-that-is-Negative-for-O-bands/show/142?cid=36
The only way they can figure out you have benign MS is after a lifetime of MS. I have had MS for 47 years and mine is mild in comparison to most people I know with MS. My brain MRIs seldom change and I had a big attack at age two and gradual changes starting in my forties. The only reason I am not a DMD is I have cancer and can't take one. I know my MS could accelerate at any time or not. If I were new to MS I would at least be on Copaxone.

Alex
Just been diagnosed with  `mild` Ms last week ...
My Nero made an appointment for 2 months time and wasnt put on any medication.He said just do exactly what i had been doing..
Like Kyle said, that's like being a little bit pregnant. If you have it and have truly been diagnosed, it's YOUR decision whether or not to pursue treatment, not your doctors decision to withhold it. We have treatments that can effect the disease when not in the more aggressive forms. To not pursue that with a patient is not very ethical in my book.
I was told by my neuro that he believes I have a milder form of MS.  He wants to start me on Copaxone.  We agreed that since I'm having a MRI on Wednesday and I have an appointment with a optical neurologist in early May to wait until then to start.  His belief is you do try your best to keep it at bay, and I'm glad for that.
Maureen