Multiple Sclerosis Community
Loss of voice?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Loss of voice?

I am wondering if anyone has ever lost thier voice. I woke up Friday and was speaking just fine, by 10am it took every ounce of energy I had to speak, and it was barely a whisper. It also made me extremely short of breathe. I felt like I was having to push the air through my vocal cords.

This lasted all day Friday, woke up Sat. still could barely speak, lasted all day. I was sitting on my couch watching a movie and said something to my son ( this was about 8pm) and just like that my voice was back to normal.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Airyona
Are you connecting this as a symptom of MS?  Or just something that happened to you?  In my course of MS over the past 13 years, I have lost my voice for just seconds at times, but it never occured for the length of time that you speak about.

If this keeps happening to you, I think you should talk to your doctor.

Hope you have a great week,
Heather

I am newly diagnosed so I am still learning the ins and outs of ms. I do not know if it is a symptom of ms or not. Thats why I am trying to see if anyone else has experienced this or something similar. If its not the ms, I am not sure what else it could be.

I did call my pcp, she directed me to call my neuro, they are just going to wait and see if it happens again. I'm telling you it was the freakiest thing. I was really scared I was not going to be able to speak.

Hope your week is great as well,
Airyona
This happens to me when I'm tired or stressed. I've had 2 different neuros tell me it's the MS, even AFTER I said but I have Sjogrens'(dry mouth, eyes, etc.) They insisted it was an MS symptom. My lasts about 2 days on average.

Rendean
Last year, about 6 months or so after my MS dx, but not during an obvious flare, I developed a raspy, hoarse voice quite suddenly and spontaneously in the middle of the day.  One minute I sounded normal, the next, had this crazy raspy Demi Moore-sounding voice. I was quite anxious that it would not get better, however it lasted only a few days, then remitted as spontaneously as it came on.  I had no pain nor any change in sensation at all, nor trouble breathing.  My GP and neuro both said maybe due to MS, maybe not, and shrugged their shoulders.
I lost my voice for about three months once. However, it was when I had my thyroid removed (cancer). Just recently, I've started to link things that happened back then to MS. At the time, I just thought that there was damage from my surgery, as I had no idea back then that I had MS (thought that having the cancer removed would solve all my problems - HA!). But, just as doctors told me that I may have lost it forever, it was like someone snapped their fingers, my voice cracked a little when I tried to scream out my whispers and it was suddenly back, just as mysteriously as it had left. At that same time (and still) I began having difficulty swallowing and found out that my esophagus was paralyzed. Looking back, I think that the surgery threw me into a relapse, which I just assumed was all part of the cancer/having my thyroid removed. So, while I don't KNOW that the MS caused me to lose my voice, I'm strongly leaning towards it now. Waking up one day and not being able to speak, and wondering how you're going to earn your living (as it revolved around verbal communication), is REALLY scary. Especially when it lasts for months and you are sure that it's gone for good! I'd let your neuro know!
Hi my names elle and i know what u mean....i have chiari 1 and ive experienced loss of voice and shortness of breath and i even noticed a change in my voice im not really sure if its from chiari but one doctor thought it was and one didnt so im not 100% sure.
hope i cood help

~~elle~~
I know this s an old post but i too suffer from this but my voice gets weaker as the day goes on it gets raspy and i try and project my voice and it wont come out my friends say  mumble i cant sing in church like i used to my throat closes up and i get short of breath, i also feel i have constantly something in my throat and clear it alot i have trouble swallowing sometimes too.

sam
I know this is old, but I too experience hoarseness, and loss of voice. It is very frustrating, one Ologist after another it is tiresome.
Those dates threw me off, but I also have hoarseness and a raspy voice, it comes and goes but I am not sure what it is from.... curious though

hugs, meg