Multiple Sclerosis Community
Lumpy feeling over the injection site

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Lumpy feeling over the injection site

Hi all, there's this lumpy feel over the injection site over a period of time. Did massaged post injection as instructed by the nurse. But realised this lump thing over the site beneath the skin, not on the surface to be exact.
Does this mean the medicine is still at the injection site region and not absorbed by the body?

Which medication are you taking? Is the lump.like a round bump, or an irregular lump? How long does the lump last following the injection?
Jane asks the right questions.  If you are doing Copaxone, site reactions like this are common.  Be sure to rotate the injection areas and don't use the same spot  again for several weeks.  Massage the injection site (in the shower works best while your skin is wet) to help with the lump.  You also may want to call the support nurse and talk about the depth setting on your autoinjector, if you are using one.  Sometimes a change in depth will help with the lumps.

good luck, L
Hi Jane & LuLu. Currently on Rebif (Interferon beta 1a) with autoinjector for a year. It's a round lump one 1 side of the tummy & one small area with hardening sensation upon pressing down. It hurts on & off. Already tried massaging after the injection as advised by the nurse. Trying to analyze & wonder if the medicine had been absorbed by the body or already hardened & become the lump. Trying to ignore the lump but subconsciously, know that it's still present.
Those hardened lumps are the reason that I had to quit Rebif. It was working for me, but I had hard, painful lumps in each of my injection sites. I have been off of it for 1 year, and still have those lumps where I injected in my hips. I also used the autoinjector and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I am not able to self inject, so it was that or nothing.
Hi there, thanks for your comment. So are you currently on any treatment or stopped totally?
Yes, I switched to Gilenya. The makers of Gilenya, have provided me with a one year free supply, as my insurance company will not approve it. So, I am not sure what I will do when my year is up in May. I still have those lumps so it would be hard to do any type of injectable, but I am not trying to think about that right now.
I see. I have never heard of Gilenya before. Is it for MS as well?
Hi, I also had lumps from injection sites that were more severe on one side than the other. It was extremely irritating and itchy. The only therapy that I have found to work is to take the warmest shower that I can handle. My husband bought me a therapeutic heat massager and I use that on the lump for 15 to 20 minutes a night. The lump has reduced significantly  and the pain has all but subsided.