Multiple Sclerosis Community
Lymph Node Involvement in MS Symptoms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Lymph Node Involvement in MS Symptoms?

Hi All,

I awoke 8 weeks ago to tingling legs which moved up to the waist same day. There it stayed and no new symptoms. No loss of pain or temp sensation, no weakness, just touch sensation comprimised.

Saw my PCP who referred me to a neuro and promptly had MRI spine, head and lumbar puncture plus blood work. I have 2 lesions (T2 & T8), clear brain scan and inconclusive CSF. Not sure what else was done by blood but there were 12 vials taken, 7 after fasting, so assume most everything was covered there.

Neuro is really not sure about MS. The indicators are just not there. Even the lesions are not characteristic of ms, they're perfectly symmetrical and neatly central on the posterior of the spine. All symptoms perfectly symmetrical too.

Last 2 weeks my numbness has subsided dramatically. I can feel my feet really well and sitting still am nearly back to normal. I have however been left with a reverberation if I tap my foot it travels up my leg like a guitar string. Same for my waist and chest right up to the level of damage. If I hit my chest I get a reverberation throughout up to the collarbone. Its not there unless I invoke it though.

I understand the difficulty in getting a diagnosis but one thing that I have neglected to mention to the neuro is that my glands/ lymph nodes have been swollen since the time my symptoms came on. The ones on the front of my pelvis are solid and well defined, even my PCP remarked about them when I visited him at the onset of the numbness. My throat is mildly sore and while I don't have trouble swallowing I can definitely feel the node in my throat is swollen.

Is this likely to be material? Is lymph swelling associated with MS at all or is this suggestive of a viral/ bacterial agent at work too. They've been swollen for 2 months without remitting so far.

IF somehow an infection caused my lesions the last thing I want to do is ignore it and have more lesions come on.

Michael

Infection and Neurological symptoms are something you have to get to the bottom of. I am no Doctor but those in combination can not be ignored.

It wouldn't be the lesions causing infection but the other way around infection causing lesions.

MS is basically Neurological.

Press your Doctors on to find an answer sooner than later.

Alex
Alex is correct - MS will not cause an infection in your lymph nodes.  This is a pretty significant symptom that needs to be discussed with your doctors, especially the neuro.  It might be the missing clue in your medical puzzle.

good luck in finding answers,
Lulu