Lyrica and weight gain
I have been on lyrica for a while now. My doctor has increased the doseage and I am gaining weight in my stomach like crazy. Not sure what is going on with that, I don't want to gain any more weight than I am already carrying, which is alot.

Next week I will be starting a heart healthy diet, my mom lives with me and has been seeing a cardiologist, so I figure that may help.

If the diet doesn't help I may have to stop taking the lyrica. I personally think that adding more weight for my leg to try to carry can be very detrimental.

Anyone else experience weight gain while taking lyrica?

Paula
I've experienced weight gain around the abdomen, but I'm not on Lyrica.  This is weird for me - I'm a pear type and normally gain weight on the butt and hips.  But this last couple of years it's all been around the stomach.

Maybe our insulin levels are too high - I know that I have better luck losing weight if I stay off the carbs and try to eat lots of raw vegetables and fruit.
Jensequitur,

I had the same problem with neurontin (gabapentin), but not quite as bad as this. I am the same as you I usually gain it in my butt and hips too.

That is what my diet is going to be most of starting Monday when I start the heart healthy diet for my mom. Hopefully it will help. I would hate to have to stop taking the one medication that helps, but I can't see me gaining weight as helpful to my body.

Thanks,

Paula
Jen,

The heart healthy diet should help.  I've taken Lyrica since Fall 2008 and gained 30 pounds the first year.  Then in February this year I started Weight Watchers, and I've lost 20 pounds so far.  

So a good diet should help you lose and keep off the weight you gained with Lyrica.