MRI FLAIR and cognition/memory??
I have been having worsening memory and cognition issues over the past several years along with Fibro type physical symptoms. I am being treated for severe anxiety, emotion dysregulation (related to childhood traumas), depression, an eating disorder, generalized pain, exhaustion and insomnia. My Rheumatologist says my "fog" is too severe for Fibro and referred me to Neuro who ordered a sleep study and MRI. Rheum tests incl Ssdna range 0-200 u/ml w result of 605. ANA screen A range 0-10 Elisa method IgG w result of 36. C3 Complement range 59.0-152.0 mg/dL w result of 171.0. CRP range <1.00 mg/dL w result of 1.12. Rheumatoid factor IgM range 0-25 I.U/ml w result of 33. Rheum says probable Sjögren's but probably not Fibro. I have Factor V Leiden mutation, labile hypertension, my brother has severe sleep apnea and almost died 10 years ago from multiple PEs. My dad had a major stroke when he was 50 but his was from blocked carotid arteries. He continued to suffer TIAs, was then diagnosed with Parkinson's and had related dementia. Drugs never helped Parkinson's symptoms so they think maybe it was something related to Parkinson's. It became progressively more debilitating u til he suffered a fall, fracture and, well you know the rest. I am worried my cognition and memory might have an organic cause besides my psych issues. My brain MRI report says "mild bright FLAIR signal in the peri ventricular and subcortical is present. Not a pattern classic for demyelination but this is non specific. Most likely representing mild microangiopathy changes." Should I get a second opinion or reading? My neurologist is considering this negative but I can't help but believe the severity of my symptoms say otherwise. Help!!
Just to clarify, FLAIR = the name of the sequence used to image your brain. It's not another name for lesion. FLAIR means "Fluid-attenuated inversion recovery". Sometimes things are seen in the images from the T2 sequence, for example.

While we're not professionals here, I can say that mental health issues can cause very real symptoms. Don't underestimate the havoc it can cause to your physical well-being.

I have MS *and* I spent a year in in-patient psychiatric treatment. There's more than a little overlap in how non-organic and organic issues can be interpreted by the individual. That's why we depend on the professionals to help us tell the one from the other and pursue correct treatment. Did your neurologist make any suggestions on possible next steps? Is your psychologist aware of the diagnostic challenges you've been dealing with?
Thanks for your comments. My therapist keeps reminding me that the rheum and neuro might not come up with anything contributory and is saying the same thing you are. How much the issues I'm having can affect my physical well being. It's just so hard because it's been over ten years now that I've noticed my ability to retain information and function at the level I need to do my job well has been diminishing. In late December 2015 I had to take a leave from work because I was unable to analyze two sentences to form a cohesive thought. I'm 56 and was trying to stick it out til retirement but it's just all caught up with me. I'm repeating myself constantly without remembering and my husband has to finish my sentences for me. I just don't know what to do. I'm exhausted and am going for a sleep study and the Neuro will do an EEG when I see him next in early June. I haven't discussed my MRI in detail yet but I do know he thinks the findings are negative.
I recommend making a list of things you'd like to ask your neurologist at your next appointment. I mention it in this community a lot simply because it truly is so easy to forget what we want to ask the pros in the limited in-person time we have with them.