Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI Results

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI Results

Can anyone tell me what these results on an MRI mean please? I was sent to do an MRI because I have been having fainting spells, dizziness, pins and needles on my left arm, very very tired.
Thanks.

Findings:
There are punctate areas of T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity within the right perifrontal white matter. There is no restricted diffusion to suggest acute infarction.

Impression:
Nonspecific punctate foci of increased T2 and FLAIR signal hyperintensity withing the right frontal white white matter. There is no abnormal enhancement.
It sounds like you are definatley having some troubles, there. I really cannot comment on your mri  I dont know enough about it to say so. I just wanted to say hello and wish you well, I hope you will feel better soon,
Also I wanted to bump your post back to the top in hopes that someone with more experience might be able to shed some light for you. There are alot of fantastic people here you have come to the right place      All my best Gollie
You have tiny spots that show up white compared to the surrounding tissue. These spots are where your axons are bundled together. The radiologist uses "punctate" to indicate "pinpoint," or small. There is no indication of number. They say "nonspecific" because these spots don't tell them much at all about where they came from or what causes them. There are many reasons to have tiny white spots on the brain, from migraines to age to MS. Your spots are not enhancing, meaning that if there is any demyelination going on, it's not active right now. They'll probably tell you to come back in six months or a year to see if anything changes, but some of that will depend on your age and history. "Perifrontal" means around the front of where the white matter is distributed; I would infer near ventricles, but that is not clear from this and it's kind of unusual wording.

Did they MRI your spine?

You also apparently have not had a recent stroke (acute infarction), which is good. The diffusion-weighted images tell that story.

Quix has a great post on explaining MRIs that you might want to take a look at. And be sure to ask your doctor for a clear explanation of what the report means, what its significance, if any, might be, whether or not it is relevant to your symptoms, and what some differential diagnoses might be based on the overall picture they now have for you.

E
Hi, Welcome to the forum!  That MRI reading is about as vanilla as they come.  It says very little.  While your symptoms, depending on how they appeared, alsted and whether or not they improved, and how many bouts of symptoms you have had, could well be symptoms of early MS.

E nailed the interpretation of the MRI.  The very tiny lesions sound like they are in the right place for MS, but are officially too small to be counted as MS.  Punctate means pinpoint.  MS lesions to be officially "countable" must be >3mm.  A thinking neurologist would be aware of those lesions and be suspicious of them.  But, they might want to do some of the other testing for things that cause small white matter lesions.

Why don't you tell us exactly as possible the timeline of how the symptoms appeared and how many times you have had these or other weird symptoms.

Quix, MD (Not a neurologist and not here officially)