Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI White spots

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI White spots

4439080?1241737093
Hello
I had an MRI this week but report being sent to my Dr.
I note white spots on my brain just wondering if this could be MS?
Photo link

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Osteoarthritis/IMG_3065.jpg

Regards
Matilda
Tags: ms mri, MRI
Hi Matilda,
Its a bit hard to tells what's on your mind with that small mri picture  - to top it off most of us here avoid reading other's MRIs because we are just not trained to do that.  Radiologists go to school for years to understand the nuanaces of the films.  

That all being said, I myst say even though your image is small, I do see several duspicious areas.  Could it be MS?  Yes, but it could also be another demyelinating disease.

Have you sent for a copy of the report?  Be sure to get a copy for your records.

my best,
Lulu
Lulu, you should be able to click on the photo and look at it in a larger size.

I see what looks like a lesion in your cerebellum.  This can lead to left or right sided weakness (don't know which side of the brain this is), as well as balance and vertigo issues.

This is an article from MSQR, which is a little depressing (I have a lesion in the cerebellum) but very informative.

http://www.unitedspinal.org/msscene/2009/03/03/cerebellar-ms-a-case-study/

I also see four bright spots in your cortex.  The cortex is a little harder to pin down in terms of symptoms, as they haven't really gotten the brain mapped out yet.  Do a search for 'brain map' in Google, and you should be able to find a source for brain functions in different areas.

I agree with Lulu that trying to read your own MRIs is an exercise in frustration.  Most MRIs, espcially the 1.5 Teslas, are hard to read and really should be left to the experts.  The 3T MRIs are much easier to read, but it's still best not to jump to conclusions.
Hello
Sorry photo isnt clear but I took a digital photo of the scan.
Had MRI yesterday and they gave me a DVD as well. They said report was going to Dr so havent seen him yet as waiting for report to be sent to him

Im not sure how to upload the DVD  so hence the photo of the scan
This pic  maybe clearer
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Osteoarthritis/IMG_3066.jpg

I had the MRI as I have sinus problems. Nothing showed up on scans of the sinuses so specialist ordered MRI to explore further
I saw the white spots and got me curious

I much rather know whats what and when I saw the spots I thought Id try and do some research
Jensequitur
where on the pic is a lesion in the  cerebellum ? I will later go to your link you put above
Thanks for input
Hi, Matilda!

You see that long vertical gray bar, with a bulge on the left?  That's your brainstem.  To the right of it, you'll see a gray area with lots of lines - looks a little like a tree, or a river delta.  That's your cerebellum.

If this is a digital photo of the scan, then that could just be a shiny spot on the MRI.  I thought this photo was actually from the CD!

(Just went and looked at your photobucket)  Yeah, I think that's just a shiny spot.  The white spots on the cortex are still there, but the question is, what are they?
Hello
Yes seems as though the shiny spot is from me taking the digital photo.
The white spots are interesting so guess will have to wait and see what the report says !
I took a digital photo of  these photos directly from the DVD  as I cant save the photos straight from the DVD

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Osteoarthritis/IMG_3070.jpg

and

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/kjl07/Osteoarthritis/IMG_3069.jpg

Regards
Matilda
Those aren't in a high enough resolution to get a good idea of what's going on.  This is also a good example of why you shouldn't try to read your own MRIs.  A trained radiologist would be able to look at that and see whether something was abnormal.  Me, I have no idea.  It just looks all gray and blobby.

My advice is to wait for the radiologist's report - it'll be much more informative, and they'll be able to see stuff that won't be apparent to your (or my) untrained eye.