MRI of T-Spine
How important is it to have any MRI of the T-spine?  Is it the usual protocal? Is it rare to have lesions show up there?  Is it usually the brain and C-spine where most of the lesions are found?

Thanks for your help.
Just wanted to add that my brain and c-spine were done on a 3T MRI, but i guess it doesnt matter if the T-spine wasnt done, lesions could still be there??

Is it encouraging though, that after 22 years of ms-like symptoms, that there is no eveidence of demylination in my brain or c-spine???

Thanks for your input.

The t-spine is included in the usual protocol. Most doctors will order this when doing the c-pine series so it all can be done at the same time. It's not rare for lesions to show up in the t-spine.

Some people can have just lesions in the brain, others can just have lesions in the spine, or you could have a combo of both (brain & spinal lesions). It depends on the person..every presentation can be different. I've heard several times on the forum, that sometimes it can take years for lesions to show in the spine..even though they are there. There is just a lot of movement in the spinal area and this can make it difficult to see the lesions. That's why evoke potentials (the SSEP) can help.

I guess it could be encouraging that after 22 years of MS symptoms, that there is no evidence in the brain or c-spine, but it doesn't make you feel any better when you have no answers to why you are having these symptoms. Do you have the actual MRI radiologist reports? We have found on the forum several times that people have been told that everything is normal, but there was evidence of nonspecific lesions. I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, but it's always good to see the report yourself.

What are your symptoms, if you don't mind me asking? What test have they done so far?

I know this is difficult..Limboland is a hard place to be..Trust me I know. I think if we knew the name of our enemy it would give us our power back, you know?

Take Care & Hang In There
Oh...I wanted to add that MS is diagnosed based on clinical..not MRIs. MRIs are just tools. If you have MS however, eventually your MRI should become abnormal.

Now I have not met one neuro, as of yet, that would DX based on a normal MRI...but that's not to say there isn't one out there. I guess it would all depend on your history, symptoms, your abnormalities on exam, and the elimination of all the MS mimics. Most places will at least require lesions consistent with MS..at least from my experience..but others can chime in if they got DX without lesions on MRI.

It's quite complicated when it comes to a truly normal MRI.
Me again,

Here's a Health Page you might be interested in:

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/How-Can-a-Person-with-MS-Have-a-Negative-MRI/show/161?cid=36
I have had 2 T-spine MRIs on a 3T machine and they have not shown any lesions, but the Drs think I have one around T-8 and one around T-11 I think.  

I did not have a T-spine MRI done until 4 months after my dx.  I kinda had all my MRi's out of order as I had a C-spine MRi first and showed lesions that led to a brain MRI.  So I can't say what "normal protocol" is.  

You have to make sure you have a Dr that focuses more on your clinical sx's and not MRI's as SB said above.  

Best Wishes to you
D