Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI questions when looking for MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI questions when looking for MS

I recently had an MRI which was done at my request looking to see if I too have MS (I have a sister and a brother who both have the MS) My MRI results are as follows and I am hoping someone can help me make sense of this report as I don't go back to see the doctor for several weeks:

This was the findings sections:  There are foci of T2 hyperintensity in the bifrontal centrum semiovale as well as a focus of T2 hyperintensity abutting the anterior horn of the left lateral ventricle and a subcortical focus of T2 hyperintensity in the right frontal white matter.

This was sort of the summary section of the report:
IMPRESSION:
     1. Few foci of T2 hyperintensity in the white matter which are nonspecific without restricted diffusion or abnormal enhancement.

Can anyone help me to understand what some or any of these findings mean.  
Tags: ms, MRI, MRI question, Looking for MS, results
The HealthPages have a great article entitled How MRIs show lesions in MS. There are also so many other helpful articles on so many different topics for a little light weekend evening reading :)
Hi and welcome to our little MS community, its a good idea to have a read of our health pages, found just to the right of your screen. The "how MRI's show lesions in MS" "McDonald Criteria" and "MS Mimics" would all help explain these findings and explain what you need for a dx of MS, I'm sure you'll find them well worth your time.

Firstly i'd like to explain that MS is still suppose to be a clinical dx, with MRI evidence and other test results adding weight to your clinical signs. You give the impression that your siblings having MS, is the only reason that lead to getting the MRI, not that you are personally experiencing sx suggestive of MS eg Optic Neuritis (ON), Diplopia, numbness etc Your clinical signs are often the more important evidence and the MRI is supportive, so with out clinical signs of MS, even with siblings with MS (imho) I wouldn't think MS is an issue.

Your MRI results are basically saying they didn't find anything suggestive of demylination found in MS,  foci = 1, focus = plural, non specific = unidentified. This does mean you have a few non specific lesions, though that of its self is not that unexpected, for your age group they commonly find the odd few in healthy sx free people. I think your going to find the MRI is not yeilding enough evidence to be suggestive of an MS dx.

Have a look at the health pages mentioned for a better understanding :o)

Cheers.........JJ
Thanks for the info I will have to go check that out, knowledge is a great thing after all.
Thanks for the suggestions I will def check out those pages.  I understand the unclearness of my original post, but I have actually been experiencing (according to what I have looked up so far) symptoms of MS, also I was originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 4 to 5 years ago and I have a sister who has had the MS for about 11 or 12 years but we recently found out that one of our brothers had it as well and he just passed away in October (but supposedly his was very progressed because they didn't catch it until too late for him) he was only 2 1/2 years older than I am and my sister oddly enough was about my age when she was diagnosed.  I have already done a battery of blood tests as well but I don't go back to the Dr for a few weeks to discuss everything so I was curios about the wording in the MRI.  I've had 3 or 4 MRIs of my head since 2000 and although the reports aren't identical in their wording some of it has been mentioned before, like the lesions and stuff.  But I think your right I should read up more on the topic before thinking there's more here than there really is.