Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI results showing several scattered subcortical areas of increased T2...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI results showing several scattered subcortical areas of increased T2 and FLAIR

I had a seizure in 2008 and ever since then I have experienced intermittent periods of a "fuzzy feeling" in my head that I would compare to feeling like I'm close to having another seizure.  I traditionally get these feelings when Ive gone without sleep for an extended period of time or if I'm getting sick with something like the flu.  Recently I've also felt pressure in my left temple area as well as muscle fatigue in my right hand and foot.  I just had an MRI and the notes say "Once again noted are several scattered subcortical areas of increased T2 and FLAIR signal. These changes are stable."  As the report eludes to, I've had other MRI's with the most recent being in 2009.   What do these AREAS OF INCREASED T2 AND FLAIR mean?  Are there any other tests I should request?  Should I see a neurologist (I'm only seeing my internist) who manages a certain condition (ie MS)?  

Any guidance and support is greatly appreciated!
Hi BD - Welcome to the group!

T2 and FLAIR are different MRI imaging techniques, each designed to look at things in a slightly different manner. Areas of increased signal are areas that appear different than the surrounding areas. In MS speak increased signal or hyperintensity translates to lesions.

There are many different causes for areas of increased signal. In addition to the MS demyelinating lesions, these findings are often caused by ischemia, or insufficient blood flow.

Given your history of seizure and the MRI findings, I would go see a neurologist. They should be able to narrow down the cause.

Based on the symptoms you mention, my MS bells are not ringing loudly. Hand and foot muscle fatigue are possible MS symptoms. I've not seen mention of the temple pressure you describe.

The MS diagnosis typically involves MRI's of the head, C-Spine and T-Spine, all done with and without contrast. There are lots of blood tests to check for MS mimics like Lyme disease and Vitamin deficiencies (B-12 and D3 are the usual suspects). There can be visual evoked potential tests, nerve conduction studies and a lumbar puncture. It can be a long and frustrating process.

But I don't want to put the cart before the horse. I'd start with a visit to a good neurologist and take it from there.

Keep us posted.

Kyle