MRI strength
I went for another MRI on Friday and asked the tech what strength the machine was.  I've had 2 previous MRIs on the same machine and was curious.  She informed me it is a 1.5 Tesla; and further stated that 3T's are only ever used for research purposes.  

I wasn't surprised that the local machine is a 1.5T.  I live in a small city several hours away from a major centre.  We only got the MRI at our local hospital a couple of years ago.  It's not surprising that it's not the most cutting edge of technologies.  

But I found it interesting that the tech was so uninformed.  As we all in this forum know, 3T's are used as a diagnostic tool, not only in research.  I didn't debate this point with her, but it occurred to me that as a person with MS (or even in limbo), that in many ways one becomes more knowledgeable that those who are there to test, diagnose and treat us.  

I would have trusted she knew what she was talking about and simply taken her response as fact, had I not learned otherwise from this forum.  Actually I probably wouldn't have even known to ask the question in the first place.

db
I second all that you have said.  I have learned so much from this Forum in the past year.  Lucky for my doctor I was not as  knowledgeable about MS as I am now.  I would have had a lot more questions back in 2005 and would have probably really made him flounder.  

I have got to say in his defense that he was pretty swift with my dx though. I still don't know what strength the machine was, though.

Marcie
You GO, Girls!
OMG!!!  I questoned  a Nuro DR. the other day , I ask him the magnet, how strong is it!!  and he turned and  LOOK AT ME REAL FUNNY!!

I LEARNED IT OM THIS FORUM!!!

THANKS, AGAIN.

DENISE 61
db  

When I asked my 1st neuro for a 3T , He snapped his head up and said,  " You're a tough one . "    I just shyly smiled ,    I learned both things from this forum ( and sooo much more )

When my results were in and he was going over it with me , he said something interesting and odd   .   That my lesions would probably not have shown up on a 1.5T which the McDonald Criteria is based on .   He eventually threw out all of my lesions , so I threw him out ( some more great advise ).

Its amazing how much information we have gotten on this site . I think we would be in deep sh** if it were not for this place ..  THANK YOU EVERYONE  

Love    :)     Jo
Hi everyone,

I'm glad we can use the forum to share ideas and learn what important questions we need to be asking, but I also think that we need to respect the opinions and training of the professionals trying to help us.  (OK, maybe sometimes they don't all deserve it!)

I thought that a 3T machine can demonstrate anatomy with a higher signal-to-noise ratio.  So it may be a nicer picture, but it is not more sensitve.  Senstivity and resolution are not the same thing.  Besides, this is only one of several factors in an MRI exam - others include the technologist, reader, machine and patient.

Personally, I'd rather have a more senstive doctor than a more senstive machine, but I know we are all in different situations.  Just my 2 cents.