Multiple Sclerosis Community
MRI tingling in hand ?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MRI tingling in hand ?

Had my MRI of brain and c-spine with and w/o contrast. it was 2 hours long. never had one that long before so maybe they did it right this time. it was on a 1.5T. the MRI tech guy was real nice and took time with me. He asked my symptoms, asked if i was a nurse because I looked familiar. said no but I've spent much time in this hospital while caring for loved ones.

told me to lift my legs so he could put a cushion under my knees. I can't lift my legs when laying flat.He said, oh thats really bad, something is not right here. I agreed and said I've been trying to find out what. that mad me feel better.

anyway while having the MRI I got a tingling in my right hand. like electrical flowing up and down that hand.  it happened twice and seemed like it might have been at the same place during the MRI without contrast and then again after contrast.  It was weird. and them my hand was kind of numb for a couple hours. still feels off.  my arms were on my tummy. not cramped or anything.

was just wondering if this is a normal thing?
MRIs can cause tissue heating, that is about it. (unless you might have i bit of metal in that hand)  The only post contrast sequence is a T1 SE  There is also a T1 SE pre contrast.  It is the sequence where you are exposed to the highest RF energy during the MRI.  Two hours for head and c-spine seems a bit long.  Sounds like they may have had to repeat a sequence or two.

Bob
Hi Raz,

Sorry to hear about your new paraesthsia. I experience this same sensation randomly. Moving my arm around does help. Since your arms were across your tummy, it's possible your were placing some pressure on the cubital nerves. There is a syndrome just like carpal tunnel syndrome of the hand that can occur in the elbow hence the name cubital tunnel syndrome.

It often feels like you hit your " funny bone". It could be a new symptom or it could have been a once time occurence given the positioning of the body. This sensation was one of my first symptoms.
My neuro was convinced it was cubital tunnel syndrome which is aggravated by putting pressure on
the nerves in your elbow.  Once he did the EMG and it came back normal then he labeled a paraesthia.

I do hope this sensation was a passing thing and your arm and hand return to normal.

Ren

Sounds like what happen to my when I had first combined brain & C-spine,  I got over heated  and had the tingle in left hand for days and mild tingle down the right arm-  turns out I had two disks that were problem , C-4,C5,C6,  one was herniated and another  bulging disc..

I was advised to have surgery & the MS Dr  didn't think it was that bad.  Depending how I sleep or sit or move it hurts some, but the disc aren't showing  impingement of the nerve.
However it adds to the problem of two lesions that I have on spinal cord.

Just another FYI, its about the only thing on the MRI I can fully spot and understand.

Take care
Johnniebear

Take care
Johnniebear
Thanks Bob and Ren.

the tech said he was having a hard time staying awake. so maybe he nodded off a sec or two. LOL. my foot did jerk once and maybe he had to redo a sequence. he really had me wedged in with sponges on both sides of my head. don't think I could have moved if i wanted to.  Oh well it was just weird.

Raz
Same thing happened to me, except it was both arms. There was a lot of tingling/electrical feeling going up and down my arms. Then they got really cold and then it was numb.

I explained it to the tech and the neuro, they said 'oh, it's probably just the position you were in.' they made it seem like it was really no big deal.

I have DDD in most of my spine so have a lot of problem deciphering what is causing what.  Lying in one position for any significant time causes me to have parasthesias - especially my right arm, but also everywhere else.  It does become difficult to know whether MS is what's causing certain symptoms, since it doesn't rule out other neurological problems.  For instance, I also have Diabetes (LADA) and as I said, disc degeneration, and spinal arthritis, blah blah blah, so sometimes, I just have to accept I'll never know.  Frustrating though!

Hope you are doing well now.  Jan
I noticed that a little during my first MRI, but I just figured it was from my ring.
I just had my mri done today.  It was with the contrast that I had tingling in my finger tips of my right hand with the sound of the machine.  I didn't ask about it because I didn't want them to think I was nuts.

What was your outcome?

Theresa