Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS & Age

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS & Age

Are the symptoms of MS more noticeable on those in their 40s or 50s then those in their 20s and 30s?  Can someone with MS end up on a wheelchair when they're in their 20s or even 30s?
Hi Liz,
Welcome to the other MS forum here at MEdHelp.  I'm sure you will get lots of responses to your questions, including some questions back at you.  

MS is one truly difficult disease to put into a category of symptoms, ages, and disabilities.  Each patient's symptoms, and disease progression, are unique.

Yes, someone with this MiSerable disease can end up in a wheelchair in their 20s or 30s.  But honestly, most MS patients remain able to get around under their own power and not in a wheelchair.

The symptoms of MS are varied too - from the outside lots of times people don't even know some of us have MS. While for others, the signs of this MonSter disease are very obvious because of limps, tremors and other assorted physical symptoms.  

Now may I ask why you want to know?  Are you concerned that perhaps you or someone you care for has MS?  If you feel comfortable, I hope you will share your reasoning for these questions.

I also hope you will stick around here and learn more about this disease.

My best,
Lulu
Thanks for the response.  I've had various symptoms like feeling of imbalance, burning aches, pins and needles, tingling sensations and nerve tics.  Most have calmed down since I've been taking vitamin b12, vitamin d, calcium and magnesium supplements.  All began 2/3/09, I fainted for about a minute.  Then that Friday 2/6/09 I felt extremely weak and I have not been myself ever since.  Some doctors said it was vertigo, others said it was fibromylagia (fibromyalgia), and others don't know.  Since my symptoms are similar to those of MS, I'm concerned I may have it.