Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS & Back Spasms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS & Back Spasms

Does anyone else experience severe back spasms?

If so, what med has your neuro prescribed?

I'm taking 10 mg. of Baclofen, 4 times a day and it doesn't touch them.

I also take 2 mg. of Valium 5 times a day-seems to help to a point.

TIA

Sheila
Last trip in to neuro, he didn't want to rx much with no dx.  He's supposed to be among the best around, but I tell you, I'm about fed up with him and his office.  I think I asked about Baclofen, among other things.

More than once in the past I've had flexeril, which I like too much, but it makes me very sleepy, and it seems to linger in my system for a day or mnore after just one dose.

HI Sheila,

I've taken baclofen in the past (not been on it for long while), and while it helped a bit, but it did make me feel weak and tired. The most recent I've taken the generic of zenaflex, which is tizanadine and that helped quite a bit. Once I felt I could back down on that I did, and I'm on nothing now.
Perhaps a change in meds will help. The spasms are painful, and maybe a good re-eval is needed to see if the doc can get the right combo for you.

It's hard to balance a tolerable amount of meds (that don't increase fatigue/weakness) but provide some relief. Such a juggling act.
(((Hugs)))
shell

Hi, Pastor Dan.

I can relate-prior to my dx of MS, I saw so many doctors.

I see a MS "Specialist", supposed to be the best, but as you said. I am not so sure......

The Baclofen doesn't do anything for my back spasms.

Even my G.I. Doc made that observation last month.

I think I might like flexeril a bit too much too, since I am not getting more than a few hours of sleep at a time.

Sheila

Hi, Shell.

You've given me food for thought-I wonder if the Baclofen is what is making me feel so weak.

I have an appt. with my DO next month. He is very open minded when I ask for a 'script and explain why I want to try it.

I am going to ask him about the zenaflex.

You're so right...it is such a juggling act with meds.

I am on so many meds right now....I should rattle when I walk.

(((HUGS)))
Sheila
I was sent by my MS Doctor to a pain clinic. Each person reacts differently to drugs.

If it is real severe they can put in a baclofen pump. Zanaflex works better for me than baclofen did. I had to try a lot of drugs before we found the right combination.

Alex
Hi, Alex.

I have an appt. with my MS Specialist at the end of September.

But I have an appt. with my DO next month, and I am going to talk to him about Zanaflex.

Baclofen isn't even relieving my spasticity anymore.

You're so right, I've had to try so many different drugs, to find pain relief.

Sheila