Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS & Sinus Disease

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS & Sinus Disease

I had an MRI that states,"There are a few very small scattered foci of white matter disease."  Does this mean legions and possibly MS?

MRI also concludes, "Evidence of Sinus Disease". Could this be cancer or possibly a severe sinus infectin even though I don't have the symtoms (symptoms) of a severe infection.

I have not yet discussed the results with my doctor and very concerned. Can anyone shed any light for me?
Thank-You!
Hi, welcome to the forum.  I assume the MRI was of the brain.  Was it also does with contrast?  Also, why was it done?  What were/are your symptoms?

Yex, The description you quote is of white matter lesions of the brain.  A lesion is a non-specific word indicating abnormality caused by ANY process (like migraine headaches, hypertension, certain infections, and many neurological  diseases like MS).  It's very non-specific.

The next one is easier.  The MRI is NOT a good test to pick up sinus disease, because it is so sensitive to any inflammation in the sinuses, that it will show a sinus infection from months ago that may be gone, but is still healing.  The MRI WAY overcalls sinus infections (disease).  No, cancer would have been described very differently.

If you did suspect a severe sinus infection, the CT scan would be a much better test.

Are you worried about MS given what I have said? If so, tell us what you have been going through.

Quix

Thanks so much for your comment!
Yes, I had the MRI with contrast. I do suspect MS, about 2 yrs ago, I started with EXTREME fatigue, and I was falling asleep mid afternoon at work. I had blood work done to rule out any types of hepatitis. Sense, Jan 2006, I have had pain in both of my legs, worse on the left side; it continued and traveled to legs, arms and hands. I really thought that I was dying. My doctor put me on percacets and without them, I can barely walk to the bathroom and back. I loose my balance quite often, I have severe pain in the right side of my head which I thought to be tension headaches but when I stopped to think about it, the pain only last anywhere between a couple of seconds to 15 seconds at a time. I experience pain in my eyes from time to time, and my vision seems to be getting much worse (haven't been to see an eye doctor yet to be checked).
I've been treated for severe depression and anxiety for about 3 yrs now. I get tinkling and numbness in hands & feet from time to time. I have had bladder urgency for about 10 yrs. I have weakness in legs, arms & hands. Over the last few months, I've notices speech problems, example, I'm reading something out loud and I mess up the easiest words which never used to happen. I now have wide spread body pain which the doctors say is fibromyalgia.  I have an appt with a neurologist on 7/30.
Thanks so much for your input and putting my mind at ease about the sinus cancer ( I go to a specialist for that next Tuesday)
So, after all of this, do you think that I still may possibly have MS?