Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS & The NBA!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS & The NBA!

Chris Wright has MS and is now playing in the NBA!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1566866-chris-wright-becomes-first-nba-player-ever-with-multiple-sclerosis
Unfortunately, Chris Wright (the one whom this thread is about) didn't get to play in the Mavericks' narrow loss to the Spurs last night.

Also unfortunately, after a great start to his season, Wild goalie Josh Harding has been out for a month for what has been reported as complications from a new medicine. (I haven't seen reported what medicine that might be. Wright is on Tysabri.)

FYI, Ojibajo, there were two threads earlier this winter about Harding. There is at least some appreciation of hockey here!

And my partner has three tattoos. To me, she is absolutely the most wonderful person.
Great story.  There's also an NHL player and a CFL player who have announced they have MS.
We don't all need drool buckets :-)
If I keep hearing about all these good-looking athletes kicking MS's @ss, I might need a drool bucket...
You made my heart stop and then I was holding my breath as I quickly went to this story link.... I know Chris Wright, a high school teammate of my nephw, and a graduate of our university who now plays in the NBA D-league.  He is absolutely the most wonderful person - listens to his mom, has no tattoos (because of her!), reads his Bible every day and carries it with him , as straight up guy as there is in the pro leagues - and I have to tell you I am so glad this is not my Chris Wright. I'm so sorry to read of any one having MS, and I hope this Chris Wright has many great career years ahead of him.

Not to distract from the other Chris Wright, but this was my Chris Wright in high school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=mDCWo1bvL68

this was my favorite college moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYL0v9BnVYI

but this one as a Red Claw is pretty darn sweet -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksobZZ79lo
I commented on here just after the NHL lockout ended during a Red Wings-Wild game that Josh Harding, the goalie for the Minnesota Wild also has MS, but no one responded/commented.

I think I am the only hockey fan on this forum. :P Or maybe it's just because I'm a Red Wings fan and they're all Black Hawks and Avalanche fans. :P

Yeah I used emoticons.
On a side note, even though I am Wings fan he has inspired me to keep working out, keep working on strengthening my left leg so that I can get back on the ice! Hopefully by next year I can maybe help out with youth hockey practices.
I missed that hockey comment, but as you already know I am all about the March madness and what leads up to it!!  Hockey or basketball, I find it great that these athletes can continue in their sport despite living with MS.  
-Laura

Hi Laura..
I was just reading your response about Chris Wright and I was kind of shocked... Could you please clarify for me "he is a wonder person, listens to his Mom, no tattoos ... " Are you saying tattoos make a person bad?  I'm sorry but this stuck out to me.  Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Debbie
~Live as if all your dreams came true~
This thread is not about the the interpretations and implications of tattoos.

Thank you!  I also have tattoo's!   kwarendorf your right this forum is not about tattoos therefore  they should not be stereo typed same as male vs. female!  I have been on this forum since 2009 I know how things work and although I can let things like that roll, some can't and would become offended but afraid to open their mouths... I simply asked lulu to clarify:)
:)
I wouldn't over think it.  I doubt Lulu thinks that everyone sporting a tattoo is evil.  :) Honestly, it didn't even occur to me to be offended on behalf of my husband and his many Metallica tattoos.  
I didn't see the earlier thread about Harding. I had been away for awhile. Good to know that I am not the only hockey fan!

I totally missed how the entire tattoo conversation got started and where it got heated. I miss everything! Oh well!

I didn't mean this to be about tattoos -
I have no problem with them. I have a good appreciation for the needlework, but don't have any myself. One of the best grades I got in my persuasive argument class was a piece on body art and how it has been used for milleniums for personal statements.

His mom doesn't like them and he has kept to his word to her that he would not get one....  sorry if I didn't make that part clear. It was late when I was writing this.. Often that's the problem with the written word because too much can be read into it with nothing was intended...  
Thanks for the clarification Laura... You know I don't normally even respond to posts let alone cause issues, I was just asking for clarification, I have never seen a post from you like that.  I guess I should have sent it in a private message :). Thanks again... Have a great day!  :)
Debbie
~Live as if all your dreams came true~
I'm happy to clear that one up and so glad you asked rather than just letting it sit out there as a question....
An update on Chris Wright: he had just 41 seconds of playing time Friday in a 96-86 Dallas win over Cleveland, but he scored his first NBA points with a layup on the one shot he attempted with nine seconds left.

Here is a link to a column written prior to the game.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2013/3/15/4107266/d-league-all-star-chris-wright-to-become-first-nba-player-with

Since Lulu54 brought the subject of tattoos into the thread for unknown reasons, it's worth noting that Wright is pictured at that link with some art on his arm. I'm actually more impressed with the arm, which is probably twice the diameter of mine.
TLC - you must have missed my additional comments about the tattoos .....
Unfortunately, last night the Mavericks informed Wright that they would not sign him to another contract. He ended up playing in the last minute of three games, totaling two points during his tenure on 1-for-2 shooting. He still has much to be proud of, and there still could me more in his future.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9087865