Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS ? Who Knows

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS ? Who Knows

After years of feeling not normal and a dr who tested for everything  but MS, I finally get to go get an MRI on Friday. I switched to a new doctor who has a wonderful reputation a little over a week ago and after seeing me and talking with me he asked if there was a history of MS in the family.He insisted I get the MRI. For years I felt dragged out with most of the symptoms of MS but the neurologist I saw said I was depressed. (go figure) That always seemed to be the answer. It started out with being dizzy years ago. As time progressed I started walking funny whenever I would walk a distance.I would try to walk a straight line and stumble a little and end up on the right side of the sidewalk and would look down to see I was walking on the edge of peoples lawns. I always felt exhausted, and would have to sleep afterwards. There were alot of other quirky things that happened but 4 1/2 yrs ago I started noticing serious changes. One day I woke up and I started wearing my reading glasses all the time because I couldn't see without them. I was REAL dizzy. I tried to think and my short term memory was gone. The world seemed hazy to me. Non-clear thoughts I suppose. I was hyper sensitive to sound, bright lights and all the sorts. I finally tried to eat and the fork hit my cheek rather than in my mouth.I started dropping things alot. I would try to say a word and it came out funny or completely backwards. I couldn't seem to respond quickly to questions. My legs started jumping and my body felt jittery. I started having panic attacks because I felt HORRID ! This lasted about 3 to 4 months. Every year since then every 8 to 9 months I get this down time, but another symptom gets added to the list. Numbness and weakness in one foot and one hand. The next year my eyes felt worse along with the symptoms. The last time I started having it even worse w/ dizziness and tingling in my face too... then it fades down to where it is bearable with some off day,s but I am sure at some point I will have that down time where I am in bed for a few months. Now when I stand up I am hunched over and ache from head to toe for a few minutes then I can walk. My RA blood tests came back normal. Not sure if this is MS or not, but I am hoping that after 5 yrs I can finally get an answer to something after this MRI !
Hi there,

Wishing you well with your MRI today. MS is not dx'd by imaging alone, but I do hope it helps your doctor narrow in on what may or may not be the cause.

Thanks for joining us.
-Shell
hoping you get some answers, but true, Shell is right, other things must enter into the equation to get a dx.  You'll probably need blood tests and other tests to rule out mimic diseases, possibly an lp, and neuro tests.  So it isn't cut and dried and not a fast thing to do.  Many of us have spent years looking for a dx before finding it.

Keep us posted, we learn from each other
Hi !
I dont have MS, but I am a Pre-Med student.
Everything will be OK! I know it...be positive...life is a great thing....your going to be just fine :)