Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS/HPV link?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS/HPV link?

About 10 years ago, I was in an exclusive 3-year relationship.  After the relationship ended, I had an abnormal pap smear and was told I had HPV.  I have since had normal pap smears and negative HPV tests.  Shortly after the abnormal pap, however, I began having Hypothyroidism symptoms and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  My hypothyroidism has been under control with synthroid.  However, I am now having some strange symptoms - joint pains, tendonitis and tingling in the hands and feet, and muscle twitches.  I have read that virusus can cause Multiple Scleroris and am afraid that I may have now developed MS.  Any guidance anyone?
Hi there,

Welcome to the MS forum.  Well, it's going to be important for you to bring up these new strange symptoms to your Dr. Make sure all is going ok with your synthroid, etc.

As far as the HPV causing MS, I just don't know enough to speak about it intelligently, and though there has been so much research put into a specific cause, it varies a great deal.  

I'd like to put your mind at ease in some manner, by saying not to be afraid.  Don't want you to think I'm being dismissive, just don't want you to fret or worry yourself.  It's best to stay focused so you can bring up your change in symptoms and go from there.

You are very welcome here and will find support, as well as learn about MS.  Our health pages are jammed with information that I think you will enjoy.

take it easy,
shell
Hi there sent you a private message about this issue.Hope it helps.

No sexual disease can link to MS.But can link to cervical cancer. i have put this in my message and other stuff.

take care.

sam
hello, i'm sorry if i am kinda off topic, i just haven't figured out how to create my own thread.  and this one is close to what i wanted to know.  

i am a man in my forty's and have ms. the woman i have started to see told me she has hpv.  i don't know if ms patients are more susceptible to the hpv virus (if contracted) developing into genital warts or even worse, cancer.  i've read that people may be more at risk if the person with hpv is immuno-compromised.  i know that the drugs we take for ms can somewhat suppress the immune system so i was concerned to say the least.  i want to stay with her (and i don't mean to sound callus) but i am not sure i want to if it means increasing my risk of infection and complications down the line.  any knowledge on this issue would be a great help to me.  thanks.
Hello, JAX, and welcome.

I'll try to set your mind at ease. If you are taking one of the CRAB drugs (Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron), these are NOT immunosuppressants. They are immunomodulators, meaning they change one small factor (varies by drug) in hopes of staving off the formation of new lesions. So your risk of contracting ANY infection, not limited to STDs, is not higher.

Peoplewith MS in general do not have compromised immune systems. We do not get sick any more often than others. If anything, our systems are overactive, forging into territory where they don't belong.

None of the symptom treatment drugs we take, Baclofen, etc., have any effect regarding the immune system, so these are out off the table in this discussion.

So having said all this, I should ask what meds you are on. Some of the more aggressive treatments DO have immunosuppressant qualities, although not at the level of chemotherapy, for instance.

Also, I've read that an estimated 20-25% of the adult population in the US carries the herpes genital virus. Don't have a citation for this, so if it's wrong I know someone will correct me. But given that, a great many potential partners are at risk. I think it's admirable and responsible for the woman you are involved with to tell you up front. And you have MS to deal with, which is more obvious in many people, but far more life-altering. I assume she knows about that.

In the end, we live our lives and take our chances. I don't have herpes and don't ever want to, but then I'm much older and in a different stage of life. Of course, this is a very personal decision for you, but I just wanted to take the risk you fear out of the equation.

Good luck to you, and feel free to join us in many other discussions. We're a good group!

ess
Hi!  I as well have Hashimotos, HPV, and am currently waiting on a MS dx. That being said I'm not an expert on any of the fields. However, I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable in hashis. Hashis can give you a whole host of symptoms ie dry hair and skin, horrible mood swings, menstrual problems, joint pain, numbness and tingling, anxiety, depression, weight changes, dizziness, sleep problems, and the list goes on and on. You can still have problems when the typical lab test of your TSH is normal. The thyroid is so complicated and pretty much controls your whole body. The experts say when you have one autoimmune disease your're at risk for developing others. I have personally read that there's a link between hashis or graves disease and MS. With that being said I strongly recommend you looking up Mary Shomon. She's a patient advocate and author. I can't tell you how wonderful she is. She's on the web. She writes for about.com, she's on Facebook, and she has her own website. She is extremely knowledgeable and knows her stuff. I have 3 of her books myself and use them all the time to reference different things. Of course you shouldn't not talk to your doc about your concerns, but I would recommend looking her up to any thyroid patient. Good luck and hope this helps a little!
There are some cases in VAERS that may be related to patients vaccinated with GARDASIL that developed neurological conditions including MS, Guillain-Barré syndrome, transverse myelitis, peripheral neuropathy, Bell’s palsy, acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, cerebellar ataxia, mononeuritis multiplex, neuropathic pain, myelitis, restless legs syndrome, myelinopathies, seizure, chronic inflammatory demyelinating neuropathy, etc.  There are warnings associated with VAERS data that "VAERS cannot be used to measure incidence." and "VAERS cannot be used to determine causality."

There are a few in the "Anti-Vaccine Crowd" that site data in VAERS on a regular bases as proof that vaccines cause other diseases.  Obviously, they skipped over the warnings about the VAERS data collection.  Those that subscribe to the theory that some diseases have viral triggers seem to cite HPV, HHV, EBV, and HEP B as common potential triggers, not only for MS, but other autoimmune diseases.

"VIRAL AETIOLOGY OF DISEASES OF OBSCURE ORIGIN" Br Med Bull (1985) 41 (1): 63-69.

Bob
Hi, Needhelp.

Hashimoto's is indeed confusing. I have it myself and have read up on it a lot. I agree that Mary Shomon is excellent regarding any thyroid issues.

However, please take note that the original post in this thread is more than 2 years old, and we haven't heard from that poster since. Now JAX is asking from a different perspective. I should have guided him on making a new post, since that's so easy. JAX, just go to the main page top. You will see the 'button' that you need.

ess
Geez!  I did see Jax comment but I didn't notice this threads original posting date. Sorry!  lol
thank you for your fast response!  yes, i am on copaxone and yes, i did tell my partner i have ms.  thank you for your information, it was very helpful...  

my decision would be made much easier if i knew this woman was THE woman.  however, for whatever reason, if it doesn't work out, i'd have a virus that i would be taking with me to any new potential relationship in the future and let's face it, ms is a big enough bomb to drop on any new person just entering into a relationship without having a virus that the new potential partner CAN catch from me (unlike ms).  
I am a 24 yr old male and am really worried about some symptoms. I was diagnosed with HPV, and got genital warts about a few years ago in 2008 and have still have not been able to seek full care due to personal reasons of going public on this issue. I'm getting really worried because i have no future plans of being with someone because of some scars, and embarassment . I feel it's starting to take over my life now. I recently went through an episode of ptosis and diplopia for about a month and cat scans and blood work didn't reveal any causes. It self corrected . I am wondering if there is any association of HPV and MS? And if anyone can help me with maybe how i can seek treatment for HPV, i have no insurance and haven't told a single person but my ex-girlfriend who i am no longer with anymore. So if someone can please get back to me with some serious answer i would really appreciate it.
Hi I'm sorry to hear about your HPV diagnosis :(  But I encourage you to see a doctor.  Do you have a planned parenthood, or city clinic or somewhere that offers free treatment and counseling?

I know this is in a delicate part of your body, but doctors see these parts of many patients everyday!  They aren't there to judge you.  The medical community now knows that HPV is a virus so it's not something you did wrong to catch it other then bad luck.  

I don't mean this in a bad way, but trust me, there are a lot of worse things you can get. I know a number of my friends have dealt with HPV so it is probably more common then you think.