Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS Urinary Tract Infections

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS Urinary Tract Infections

Hi, all,

Like many of you, I have the frequent urge to do #1 (tinkle) which causes me to make multiple bathroom trips and interferes generally with my work productivity.  I'm not incontinent, at least, but I don't empty fully.
In fact, I now have a very bad UTI that required Bactrim DS to treat.  I read that drug was outlawed in England?

The cause of my infection was not the usual E. coli, but was Citrobacter koseri.

Question:  Does anyone know if MS UTIs tend to have a typical causative bacterial agent?

Also, does taking cranberry pills help prevent UTIs caused by retention?  I would think it would.

WAF
here I go again with the *ick* factor - if you are retaining urine, you need to talk to your doctor about intermittent self-catherization.  Its not so bad once you do it a few times and it seriously cuts down on UTI's.

You need your bladder to empty completely to prevent the urine from backing up into your kidneys and causing serious damage.

PLUS UTI's can cause flares in your symptoms - the infection can set off our MS so you really need to find a way to cut donw on the retention/UTI cycle.  

Cranberry pills can help by changing the acidic level of your urine, but it won't stop your problem with retention.  

good luck,
Lulu
Lu's right--it's very necessary to deal with retention, for all the reasons she mentions. Do whatever it takes to make that happen.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no one kind of infection associated with this problem. I had 2 UTIs last winter, different bacteria, neither e-coli, neither showed up with the dipstick test. Had to be sent to the lab.

The thing is, once you become really conscious of this, you'll very likely know when you have an infection, even if you don't have the usual symptoms.

ess
Hi there,
I am not sure why but my neuro told me to take Citracal as well as the cranberry juice.  Citracal with vitamin D?  I assume it must have citrus in it or something but from what I can tell it  is calcium tablets, so I was uncertain how that could assist but I am taking them now anyway.  Will try anything for some relief.

Cheers,
Udkas.