Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS Wars: Hope, Science and the Internet

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS Wars: Hope, Science and the Internet

For those of you who get CBC, this is the topic scheduled to air on The Nature of Things, this Thursday and again next Thursday evening.  This series is hosted by David Suzuki, Canada's leading environmental activist and award winning broadcaster.

Should be an interesting episode.

I don't see anything on their website that says whether this will also air online, though this info may be staring me in the face and I'm just not seeing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS Wars: Hope, Science and the Internet
Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:00 PM on CBC-TV
Thursday February 15 at 10 pm ET/PT on CBC News Network

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/ms-wars-hope-science-and-the-internet.html

About This Episode
Multiple sclerosis is a debilitating disease, and there is no cure.  Then, a radical new theory appears to offer hope to patients.  The medical community is lukewarm to the concept, yet the Internet is buzzing with positive stories and outcomes. What happens when the medical system and hope collide?

The effects of MS are cruel - fatigue, loss of muscle control and increasing debility.  In 2009, there was suddenly a ray of hope, a treatment that showed signs of helping MS patients.  

In northern Italy, research scientist Dr. Paolo Zamboni reported a correlation between blocked neck veins and MS.  He pioneered a new treatment, called Liberation Therapy, unblocking the jugular veins to help with a condition he calls chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency or CCSVI.  The idea and treatment were a radical departure from accepted practice.  

The small research paper was published online before it was published in print. Immediately, this research was circulating internationally via social media circles, creating a sudden explosion of attention.  With an increasing number of patients electing to get the treatment in private clinics, video testimonies soon began to appear on the Internet showing miraculous improvements.

A few Canadian clinics began to look into the treatment, but the Canadian medical establishment was reluctant to proceed with an unproven treatment that had not followed the proper research protocol. While some patients were torn between the lure of a cure and the caution, others took matters into their own hands.  

Many began travelling out of the country for the procedure paying for their own treatment – often without telling their physicians.  

The medical community has developed protocols, processes and systems concerning research and patient care.  These have survived politics, wars and the test of time.  But, this time, the medical research system was challenged by two factors: hope, and the Internet.

MS Wars is a one hour documentary that delves into the science, controversy and human drama around Liberation Therapy.  It is a tale that explores how the Internet has spurred a social network movement that is changing the doctor/patient relationship and the repercussions for physician and institutions.
I get CBC where I live.  Thanks for the info, I will set my DVR to record them.

Tammy
OK it looks like this will air online as well.  I'll keep an eye on it and post when it is available for viewing.
Thank you for offering to keep us posted regarding online viewing :) I appreciate it as I don't have cable and would like to watch the episode.
Thanks, DV. Please add a link here when you find where they put it online.  I would really like to se this piece.
I lilve in Canada too.  I watch his documentary show "the Nature of things" quite often.

for those not in Canada , CBC is one of our state chanels (you can tune in via antena) so you don't need cable.  (also there is CBC radio)

the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) often lets you watch online on their website once shows have aired.   check out:  cbc dot ca
Thanks Doublevision.  I have set my PVR.  

It's hard now with the internet, I never know whether to believe my doctor or what I read on-line.  But I do know that I would try liberation therapy if I thought it had any chance of success (and will still consider it in the future).
Here's the link to watch this program online.  I'm having trouble watching it on my laptop..I think I must not have flash player updated or something.

I did watch it on TV but was cooking and only half paying attention; looked interesting though and I will watch it again.  Interested to hear people's thoughts on it.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/ms-wars-hope-science-and-the-internet.html#
I am not able to listen to this and I do have the latest flash player installed.  I get a message that the content is not yet available, so I guess we have to wait a bit longer.  I really do want to hear this one, especially since I have read many of the comments.

I watched this show and think it was very interesting to see the different reasons for the Drs to wait and see approach.  I personally feel that if someone wants to see if their neck has blockage they have a right to find that out and if they do have blockage, then why would the Dr not fix it.  

just because you have a Dx of MS, does this mean you can get it fixed?  Something isn't fair at that level??

thanks for the heads up on the show.
wobbly
I found this show to be very informative and well done. David Suzuki and 'the nature of things' did a very good job of presenting the current CCSVI issues in Canada, and this program did a good job of showing what some people with MS have to struggle with on a day to day basis.

My wife phoned around to a bunch of our relatives and let them know this show was on last night. This morning I got an offer of financial aid from my parents if I choose to go out of the country for angioplasty. A little early, I have yet to find out whether or not I have CCSVI, but touching that they'd offer.

I think this is a must see for friends and relatives of people with MS.

Any kind of mainstream media coverage like this goes a long way to bringing MS issues to the public eye, and awareness is an important factor in the search for the causes, and cure of  this damn disease.

Mike
I keep getting the message "this content is not currently available." from the website.  I do want to watch this.... hopefully I can get through soon.
hi there, have you tried looking up on Google "the nature of things"... CBC David Suzuki... on that website it shows the video... try it..
take care
wobbly
Has anybody been able to see it who's not in Canada? That might be the problem.

sho
No, I keep getting the message "this content is currently unavailable."  I will keep trying over the weekend and see if that changes.
I can now view it online so if those in the US can't, it must be a licensing issue or something?
Looks like I can view the video, so if  you're getting that message, could be a firewall problem.
Hey, lu I'm not sure if its the same but u can also download media player.  It might be the same as flash player but, I would check it out. Who, know maybe this would be helpful it would hurt to look into.

Just a suggestion.  I hope that u can view this video online soon.

Good luck.....  I hope your doing well.

Misty
I'll  give it another try.  I get the same message on my work computer as at home - the content is currently unavailable (and it is a female voice saying this!).
I am also getting the "content unavailable" message.
I had my IT department at school look into this and the tech had the same message.  In fact no one in their department was able to view it - now I really want to see it!! I have emailed and asked the CA station is they had any ideas.  Stay tuned, Lu
  I also wanted to see this video and tried to view it but, had no luck.  It must be a licence issue.  I wonder if it will ever be made available to everyone everywhere.  

It sounds very interesting I would love to hear about it oh, well maybe some day.

Take care
     Misty
Saw half of this documentary tonight on TV.

They showed alot of footage that was recorded by individuals before and after their treatment.  Most of the patients were going abroad to brazil or elsewhere. Patients talked of the need to hide the fact they were doing it from their neurologist, yet many said their family doctor was aware of it and fully supported it.

The self recorded videos were quite impressive.  From not being able to walk one foot in front of the other to standing on one leg doing yoga poses.

David Suzuki talked about the lack of support among neurologists to get involved in clinical trials as a major hurdle to why there were  none taking place.  Vascular specialists, and regular doctors support the procedure, yet neuros are not supporting it.

Talked about how the procedure seems most effected for progressive MS that will not respond to other treatments, and the question was this the same as RR MS, just more advanced, as such would this be effecttive to stop RR MS from becoming as severe?

Not so many questions were answered about the liberation technique, but it makes you wander why the government is not doing more to embrace this potential treatment.  If the self recorded videos are any indication than it really is a potential "treatment" can't say cure, because the exact cause of MS is not known.

Did talk about two Canadian who had died having the technique abroad, and if this is a high or low risk procedure that could be made safer if offered in Canada.