Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and Childbirth

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and Childbirth

Has anyone had experience with development of symptoms, or worsening of, after childbirth?

Thanks.
Hi dollface and Welcome!

Pregnancy quiets MS - most women report that their MS goes into complete remission.  The bad part is they also talk about MS going into a full-blown flare a short time after delivery.  

Like all parts of RRMS, it is pretty unpredictable.  

welcome again,
Lulu
My sister went into full remission during childbirth but after her daughter was born she has a severe setback. The doctors told her that with everything that a body goes through during pregnancy and childbirth that the effects can be worse for her.

Be well,

Paula
sorry I meant that she went into full remission during her pregnancy not during childbirth.

paula
Idk how it is for everyone but for my self, I had no problems before, during or after my babies.

Doesn't seem to be a way to predict so take care of yourself and be extra cautious about sleeping and eating right.

Julie
Thanks........for all comments. My family doctor had told me, that if I had MS that hadn't presented yet, it certainly would have after the birth of one of my children - my oldest is 11 and my youngest is 8..........I didn't know whether to beleive it or not...........
Far from an authority (!) but there seems to be a good scientific reason for fewer problems during pregnancy.

That's because half the baby's genes are foreign to the mother. Without a letup in immune reactions, there would be far more pregnancy complications.

After childbirth the mother's immune reactions naturally regulate themselves, which is why there are so many MS flares in the first few months.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Practically nothing does, after all.

ess
I have a 5 year old, and a 3 year old, and am expecting #3.

I was diagnosed one year after the birth of the 3 year old.  After I had the 5 year old, I noticed NOTHING!  It was a traumatic delivery, and I had sexual side-effects that have since improved.  The Doctors are unsure if it was from the delivery or my now Dx'd MS.  So, for you Doctor to say that it would have defiantly surfaced after child birth is not scientifically based.  I recently red an article in the back of one of my MS journals; it said that only 60% experience a full blown relapse soon after delivery.  New research suggests that b-feeding may postpone the risk.  Other physicians feel that it is more important to get back on a DMD immediately instead of b-feeding.

That being said; after the birth of my 3 year old, I began a year long spiral downward.  This is what led to my eventual Dx. Within 30 hours of delivery, I began having major vision disturbances including double vision.

We are going to be pro-active after the birth in Dec/Jan.  I am to be given either solumedrol or IVIG before I leave the hospital.

I hope that this helps. I would not accept a lack of post-partum symptoms and rule-out criteria for MS.  I have had it both ways!

Best to you,
Ann
I have 6 kids. I had no MS symptoms at all after the birth of my 12 year-old, 11 year-old, 8 year-old, or 5 year-old. After the birth of my 3 year-old I had crushing exhaustion starting when he was about 2 months old. It was bad enough that I stopped driving for about 4 months because I was too tired to trust my ability. I had tons of blood tests and everything was normal. It lasted about 6 months, clearing up completely within 2 weeks time. I did not know what caused it, but didn't worry too much once it was gone.

Two years later baby #6 was born. Again, within 2 months I was hit with exhaustion and cognitive issues, though not as bad as the first time. More cognitive word issues but I was able to still trust myself driving. When the baby was about 6 months old the neurological issues started.

So, I had 4 babies without having any MS symptoms, 1 baby with a very vague MS symptom after the baby was born, and 1 baby with more definite MS symptoms. I'm now semi-diagnosed (neuro is 80% sure I have MS, I'm just waiting on insurance approval to start DMD)

I have also had multiple surgeries in the past (8 pretty major surgeries) without having any MS symptoms after. I had heard that surgeries can be a "trigger".

~Jess