Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and Diabetes

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and Diabetes

Hi All,

I read more than I post... I have been really busy with work and my kids bball games. Anyway... for those of you who don't "know" me I have been diagnosed with MS. I just did my 8th avonex shot last wk... Everything is going pretty good with the shots. The only side effects I have is muscle aches and of course my enemy tiredness...

I had blood work done last week and was asked to come back for the results. The nurse said he (Dr.) wants to put me on medicine for the diabetes. I thought I was doing pretty good of watching what I was eating... obviously not. I am going to start being stricter.

My questions are... How will my body handle all of this medicine? I take the avonex, vitamin d, modafinil, ibuprofen.... I am asking more for support. I have been given books on ways to cure me and websites to help, but its nice to hear from others that have or are going through the same things.

Thanks,

B
I wouldn't see going on Meds for your diabetes as a negative at all. Sometimes by doing this & continuing with your diet modifications you can eventually come off the Meds. I don't know a lot about diabetes but I do know of someone who did just that.

In regards to being on medications long term I can only say that I am a good example of someone who has been on medications most of my life & I'm still here. I have regular blood work to monitor my liver function levels & such. I keep in close contact with all my docs. I eat well & don't drink alcohol. I have been on things that have had a negative impact on my body & I simply moved onto something more suitable in these instances.

It's not really something I thought about when I was younger. I have always been sick with one thing or another & the only way for me to improve was to go on medications. When my RA got to a stage where disability was taking over it was fairly easy for me to agree to go on DMD's as well. The aim is to try & prevent disability or disease. If DMD weren't available for arthritis, MS, Diabetes etc then the end result could be much worse than taking these DMD's.

I would try not to worry about things that may never happen. The most important thing is to stay in touch with your docs & keep up your blood work regularly. You are not on a lot by what you have listed above. I think if you treat your diabetes you might feel a bit better. Just don't see that as any failure because it isn't. Take care of yourself because you have a beautiful family to care of.

Hugs......Karry.

Hugs......Karry.
Thank you so much!!! for all of your kind words and advice. I do tend to over worry. I really appreciate your kindness.