MS and Diabetes
Hi All,

I read more than I post... I have been really busy with work and my kids bball games. Anyway... for those of you who don't "know" me I have been diagnosed with MS. I just did my 8th avonex shot last wk... Everything is going pretty good with the shots. The only side effects I have is muscle aches and of course my enemy tiredness...

I had blood work done last week and was asked to come back for the results. The nurse said he (Dr.) wants to put me on medicine for the diabetes. I thought I was doing pretty good of watching what I was eating... obviously not. I am going to start being stricter.

My questions are... How will my body handle all of this medicine? I take the avonex, vitamin d, modafinil, ibuprofen.... I am asking more for support. I have been given books on ways to cure me and websites to help, but its nice to hear from others that have or are going through the same things.

Thanks,

B
I wouldn't see going on Meds for your diabetes as a negative at all. Sometimes by doing this & continuing with your diet modifications you can eventually come off the Meds. I don't know a lot about diabetes but I do know of someone who did just that.

In regards to being on medications long term I can only say that I am a good example of someone who has been on medications most of my life & I'm still here. I have regular blood work to monitor my liver function levels & such. I keep in close contact with all my docs. I eat well & don't drink alcohol. I have been on things that have had a negative impact on my body & I simply moved onto something more suitable in these instances.

It's not really something I thought about when I was younger. I have always been sick with one thing or another & the only way for me to improve was to go on medications. When my RA got to a stage where disability was taking over it was fairly easy for me to agree to go on DMD's as well. The aim is to try & prevent disability or disease. If DMD weren't available for arthritis, MS, Diabetes etc then the end result could be much worse than taking these DMD's.

I would try not to worry about things that may never happen. The most important thing is to stay in touch with your docs & keep up your blood work regularly. You are not on a lot by what you have listed above. I think if you treat your diabetes you might feel a bit better. Just don't see that as any failure because it isn't. Take care of yourself because you have a beautiful family to care of.

Hugs......Karry.
Thank you so much!!! for all of your kind words and advice. I do tend to over worry. I really appreciate your kindness.