Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and IBS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and IBS

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!!

I have a question does anyone know if there is an association between MS and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I seem to have this problem for the past few years on and off and it's getting more often then normally was?  

I'm seeing my Dr in a few weeks about it, but wonder if anyone else here has this type of problem.  It can get quite painful most of the time now.  Difficult to treat.  any ideas on that too??

thanks alot
wobbly
  I also have IBS and it is very painful I don't have a dx yet.  I can honestly say the best way to treat is to take a stool softner everyday. I take one in the morning even if I don't need to so, it keeps working.  Also, use a heating pad to relax muscles.  That seems to keep things under control and not so painful.

IBS has a lot to do with stress and your eating habits.  The other thing that really helps is to put more fruit into your diet.

It used to be really bad for me not anymore.  It's so much better.

I don't have a lot to say but, I hope this helps some.

Take care,

Misty
From memory yes though its constipation thats more closely connected to MS than actual true IBS. One of the problems is that IBS is too readily dx, if you have a history of constipation or diarrhea you'll end up with a dx of IBS.

snip

By Karen S. Kaufman, MS, CCN

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a common gastrointestinal ailment that affects up to 20 percent of the population.1 IBS symptoms include cramps, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, and alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. These symptoms range from being mildly annoying to very painful and disabling. According to one study, about 35 million people currently suffer from IBS. Women are afflicted about twice as often as men. Given the large number of people suffering from IBS, it is not surprising that a similarly high percentage of pharmaceutical advertising is devoted to popularizing over the counter medications for symptoms such as intestinal gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.

IBS is caused by dysfunctions in bowel motility--from whatever cause. Both hyper- (excessive) or hypo- (inadequate) bowel motility may lead, respectively, to constipation or diarrhea. People with IBS are either very sensitive to or have excessive amounts of gut hormones such as Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide (VIP), Cholecystokinin (CCK), and motilin. These substances can cause motility disturbances throughout the upper GI tract and colon.2

end snip

Constipation is the more common issue for MSers but diarrhea isn't though bouts of constipation can cause leakages getting past the obstruction but its not really classed as diarrhea. Is that too much information? lol

Sometimes the meds cause bowel issues so thats worth checking out if you havent already. I'm sure there lots on the topic in our archives if you want to go looking, sorry i'm exhausted or i'd find something for you.

Cheers..........JJ

I have both.  I was Dx with IBS years before the MS.  I do know that when I have a relapse, I have much more intene cramping and constipation.  One of the cranial nervs controlls motility in the bowl, so it would statnd to reason that if you have a lesion in that area, they are definately related.  

I have learned to stay away from certain fibers because of gas (if you can't have a BM, you can't pass the painful gass either).  I also limit my consumption of sodas.  The carbonation is just ammo for the abdominal gas!  I was once Rx'd a med that is now aoof the market.  Then, I ws given Amitiza for really bad bouts.  The thing that works the best is a dose of Miralax EVERY DAY.  It takes 3 days or so to work, so don't skip a dose just because you have a "good day" or two.  

I hope that this helps and that you get some releif soon.  Sometimes, I bloat so bad that I gain 2 pant sizes in a day.

Ann
thanks everyone, my bowels, are so unpreditible?  one minute my bowels are long and skinny, then normal, then pellets, then watery, then back to the long and skinny.   This goes on for weeks and months at times, then I get pain so bad, and blotted with gas.  I go for tests for my gall badder and spleen etc.  

everything comes back normal, but the pain stays for weeks, then goes and comes back another time.  

I will try some of this ideas...thanks for the advise and take care everyone
wobbly