Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and Menopause?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and Menopause?

I just went to my family physician and she told me I was beginning to go through early onset menopause. I am 42 years old.    That being said she informed me that it would be dangerous to my health to take birth control or any type of hormone.  Is this true, am I just supposed to suffer for the rest of my life with hot flashes etc etc. ????
Tags: Menopause
Hi, I have never heard of this, I take hrt and am in no hurry to stop taking it - there is no way I want those hot flashes again. I have to see my GP next week to get my prescription renewed and I will ask if taking them can be problematic with MS. I really don't think this is the case though.

Mand
The danger is for all women over 40 more toward heart attacks, blood clots and cancer. I did not like so I got off right away. That is why they are hesitant about hrt. Some Doctors refuse others will give women hrt. It is all risk/benefit. Some Doctors deem the risks too high. nature did not intend for us to have estrogen for that long, that is why it is cut out at a certain age. Also is you have years of birth control or smoking this adds to the risks. There are Doctors who understand women will take that risk.

MS is not an issue. I got accept in a Menopausal two year drug study. They would not have taken me if MS was an issue.

Alex