Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and Surgery under general anaesthetic?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hey all!  Hope everyone is doing well here and staying warm!  Here in Alberta, Canada it's -20C and -30 something with the wind chill!  Gotta be tough to live in Alberta!

Anyway, I am having surgery on Tuesday of next week.  I have been waiting since July!  I have lesions on my vocal cords and apparently they are not as pretty as the ones on my brain so the doc says we have to have a biopsy!  Don't ya just love that word "lesions"...NOT!  I figured I had enough on my brain thank you very much!

So, I am wondering if anyone has had surgery under local anaesthetic and if it affected or changed their MS symptoms post surgery?  If so, what can I possibly expect...anything at all or just the normal post surgery icky stuff like nausea and resistance to wake up cause I am not a morning person?  I was given an incredible work up prior to the surgery on Tuesday.  I had two ECG's and the last one wasn't normal but not considered a problem, all sorts of blood work and if I have to go over my massive amounts of meds AGAIN,  I will go NUTS!  

Apparently, post surgery, I can NOT talk for at least 48 hours!! How the heck is that supposed to work I wonder?  I have two dogs and a husband, how can I keep quiet for 48 hours???  My Mom asked if they were going to sew my mouth shut as a precaution...I didn't think that was very nice for my Mommy to say do you?  he he  If they remove the lesions from my throat, I will not be able to speak for 10 days to two weeks!  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...sorry, that just sends me into fits of giggles!  I am allowed to speak softly for 5 minutes every hour and they made it very clear that "NO, I can't save up those 5 minutes all day so I can talk for an hour"!  This should be very interesting!! Like my sis-in-law just said..."short term pain for long term gain!"...guess she is right!  

I just really wanted to know if anyone has had any adverse effects after surgery that I should watch for in relation to MS?  See,,,I only wanted to ask one question and my fingers are talking like mad!  

Thanks for any info or stories of post surgical problems related to the MS, I would really appreciate it!

Hugs,
Rena
Oh yeah...forgot to get back to some of you about the CSF and the possibility of a leak...it was a false alarm but it is good to know that it can happen!  Thank you to everyone who responded to my panic call!
Hugs,
Rena
Hi there, I was cracking up reading this..I have no idea how I would stay quiet that long, i talk to inanimate objects even.  This is very scary, the not talking I mean.

I do not think the local anesthetic or the surgery will up your MS symptoms.
I think I asked that once and thats what I was told.  I am sure someone will confirm or deny this.

I love this colder weather..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a ball gag would help..better yet, DUCT TAPE ! just trying to help..

Good luck, Sweetie !

meg

A dear friend just had this srugery done for the SECOND time and has to remain mute for a month.  She carries a white board and markers to tell her husband what she is thinking.  That might not work for your dogs, though.  LOL

I'm so sorry to hear you have to undergo this procedure.  Here in the states it is an outpatient procedure - do you at least get to spend the night in the Hospital?  I don't know if that is good or bad.

As for your MS and surgery, there is no consensus on whether it really can provokie your MS.  Just be sure to pamper yourself and let everyone else pitch in to take care of you.

hugs,
Lulu
I'm not sure I can totally relate to the keep it quiet instruction.  I am known to be a quite person - until my 'ON' button gets flipped up.  Then I can go on like the Energizer bunny just like when I post here.

Michelleric can relate all too well.  She's shared some vocal cord isues that started during her treatment with Tysabri.  I think that started sometime in August and I don't think it has resolved yet.  Here's what she wrote about a three week no-talk rule.  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Officially-done-with-Tysabri-/show/1589465#post_7223694

As for the surgery.  The last time I had a local for dental work it seemed like the last tingle of numbing took days (or weeks?) to fully resolve.  I have a feeling the lingering tingerling was nerve irritation related to MS than it was the actual medication.

But this is general anesthesia, right?  I've had general anesthesia several times without noticible change in MS symptoms.  There may have been a transient decline with an after surgery fever or inactivity and nothing that made me think FLARE.  

Of course stress (surgery, not talking, pain, biopsy result waiting, etc.) is never good for MS.  I do think I had a slower recovery from orthopedic surgery where a better nerve:muscle connection would have helped in the rehab.  

There is no connection I am aware of between anesthesia itself and MS relapse.  There are always people who will report a different experience though.  It's a lot like flu vaccines that way.

Good luck Rena.  I'm sure you'll do fine with the surgery itself but I never have figured out why they have to yell you into awareness demanding deep breaths.  They couldn't irritate me more unless they yelled hubby's fav "Rise and Shine!"  That's simply not natural.  He gets a mumbled response out of me that the censors don't allow here.

Are the dogs quick learners?  You might be able to teach them hand signal commands in the next two days.  Otherwise, get yourself one of those containers of canned noise they use at ameteur sports events.  A short burst from that stops bad behavior (and good too for that matter) in ALL species.  You might never go back to a plain verbal 'No' or 'Stop'.

Speaking of, I just heard a buzzer myself and need to stop this.  Let us know how you are.  It's always safe to 'talk' here.

Mary
Hahaha! Too funny! Not the surgery part, but the no talking parragraph. Sounds like your dear Mother has the same sense of humour that you have ;)

Leading to my dx I had a brain biopsy and I didn't have any post surgery problems, at least none that I was aware of. My symptoms didn't seem to worsen any, except for the additional discomfort of having a new hole in my head.

Best of luck to you!

Oh, and Meg...duct tape doesn't stick well at -20 degrees c.

Mike
Well thank you for all the reponses!  I do appreciate all the information you all have here...one seems to always be able to find someone that knows something about what you are talking about!!

Meg, my hubby has already passed that one by me but I told him not to even try it...he would pay dearly once I can talk again if you know what I mean!  hehe

Lulu...long time no talk to my dear!  Yes, this is an out-patient procedure but I think if I have troubles they will keep me.  My balance has been absolutely terrible the last couple of weeks!  I fell down last night while playing golf in the living room...yah I know I shouldn't be playing in the house...he he...it was Wii of course.  I hit the corner of the coffee table with my chest and took out my right  side with the hard edge of the couch.  So, I am in pain already!  Stupid MS.  Then I almost fell down the stairs to the front door...that's when my virtual golf club was removed from my hand and I was told to stay put!  he he  I am some sore today but I don't think anything is broken...just pulled muscles and black and blue.  Hubby is going to be home all week so I am grateful for that and I know he will look after me!  Yep...the dogs are a very different story!   I will let you know how it goes!  Thanks Lulu!

twopack...you are right, I am having general anaesthetic, not local as I stated earlier.  I hope that I don't end up with the same problems as michelleeric...hope things are getting better for her and thanks for sharing!
As for the "rise and shine"...if anyone says that to me they are gonna get the same mumbled response from me complete with expletives.  Hubby says he feels sorry for whoever has to wake me up...sounds like we both are not morning people especially with those silly cheerful people...that drives me nuts and always has!  As far as the dogs go...I figure they won't understand why I am not speaking to them and perhaps they will behave...ha ha ha...like that will happen.  I am just gonna have to wait and see I think!  Thank you for the information though my dear...I will keep you posted!
Hey Mike!  Hope you are staying warm down there!  Pretty durned cold here that's for sure!  Yes, I get my sense of humour from my Mom's side of the family and also being married to a newfoundlander doesn't hurt!  he he   Thank you for the good wishes and thanks for the nix on the duct tape...WAY to cold for THAT!  hehe

Hugs to all,
Rena
Well I guess it's all over now...sure a lot of crap for nuttin!  

I went and had my throat surgery on Tuesday and seems like it was all a waste of time!  Go figure that it would happen to "ME"!  Things always go the way they should with me...NOT!!!

After having the pre-op examination, the pre-admin 4 hour "learning session", and ecg, multiple blood tests I went in for my surgery.  I was treated wonderfully I have to say...I would have any sort of surgery in the hospital I did...they were awesome to say the least!

I had 10 minutes of a Ventolin Nebulizer prior to the surgery and was given two pills and this really horrible stuff to drink to stop any reflux during surgery and it really worked well.  I had NO post op nausea and that is a real switch for me.

So they went in and (the way it feels now) beat the crap outta my throat!  I have the sorest throat ever but it is slowly getting better.  Now I have to tell you that I have the sorest throat ever and THEY DIDN'T FIND A THING!!!

The ENT came and spoke to me afterward and said that there are no voice restrictions because there was nothing there...WTH!!!  He said that the lesions we saw in July were completely gone and he had no explanation for it whatsoever!  Now don't get me wrong, I am so relieved to find that they have disappeared and nothing horrible was found but seems like a little peek by the ENT prior to surgery may be something he should look into???  I dare say that a fair amount of $$ could have been saved at the very least!

So I am recovering at home, eating terrible things like ice cream and pudding and scrambled eggs for the next few days.  Thanks to everyone who gave me the information they had on this surgery.  I really can't imagine the pain if they had done something to my vocal cords cause it's sure not very comfortable now...but getting better! :)

So, Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the U.S.A. and have a piece of turkey for me will ya?  I couldn't swallow it if I had one!  ha ha

Hugs,
Rena
WHAT!!!!!! THEY DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING??? WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOUR LESIONS GO?

What a shame! I mean I'm glad your lesions are gone, but what's the deal? Would they have canceled the surgery if they couldn't see anything visually?

Could/should they have done a scan a week or so before the scheduled surgery?

Is it common for these type of lesions to dissapear in a few months like yours did?

Was there no scar area from the lesions they could have biopsied for testing?

I hope you heal up quickly!

Sorry...lots of questions, ignor them if you wish....I just can't believe you had to go through all this for nothing!

I hope new lesions don't appear in the future.

Take care

Mike
I'm glad to hear that they found nothing, and hope your throat is feeling better with each new day.  In the meantime a little Haagen Dazs never hurt anyone. :)
I am not sure if its good or bad, but I would feel the same way.  

But you can talk now, right? or not?

I always tend to think everyone lives in California I guess.  I did look up Edmonton and it is very cold now...big city.

I am glad you are okay though..

hugs, meg