MS and Thyroid problems
Can i as if anyone knows if there is any possibility of damage to my thyroid from MS. I ask because i have long standing MS symptoms including muscle aches in arms, hands and legs along with severe and permanent loss of sensation in my thighs. My question is really concerning the likelihood a thyroid disorder. I am finding it very, very slow
to shift my excess weight. I follow a strict diet and exercise program and over a six month period the weight is moving but very slowly. So i was wondering if my possible MS may have affected my thyroid or metabolic rate? I used to loose weight without too much effort, now its almost impossible. I guess it could always be down to being middle aged though.

I am currently waiting for my first MRI appointment, so i am not DX as yet.  I have tested neg for diabetes.

Any advice welcome.
Hi, Welcome to the forum.  I hope we can help you through the diagnostic process.  We have many UK members.

There is a connection between the thyroid and MS, but one doesn't cause the other.  In people with MS, autoimmunne thyroid disease is about 3 times more likely.  There are a few other autoimmune diseases that are also more common in people with MS.

Speaking as a physician, though, you are also at the age where weight creeps on and won't creep off.  Women face that reality earlier than men.

Other signs of low thyroid function include cold intolerance, hair loss (all over your head), fatigue, constipation, depression, weight gain, deepening of the voice (usually with coarsening or raspiness).  Neuropathy is also a frequent problem.

Part of the proper work up for MS is testing for proper thyroid function along with a batch of other blood tests.  Good luck on not having to wait too long for your MRI appointment.

Why don't you tell us your whole story and why they are doing the workup for MS?

Welcome again.  We have several men here on the forum, but always can enjoy more.  I am Quix, a physician (here unofficially and no longer in practice).  I try to answer some of the medical questions about MS and the diagnostic process.

Quix
thanks Quix

your comments are appreciated!

will do
I am glad that you popped over here.  These people are reallly helpful and king.  Quix, who has already answered is kind of our de3n mother.  She gives good advice.  Good luck with your search.
Tahiri