Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and cold or flu?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and cold or flu?

Hi all, I´ve been having a flu or a bad cold (with medium fever) for a week now. When I was at the worst, my mildly tingly left part of face got super tingly! And for the two worst days I also got a burning feeling in left side of nose (nostril?) and a burning bad left eye, so I was floating with tears on and off. Does this happen to you? Or is it different for each and everyone, what MS does when you´re sick.

I also was afraid at a time, because my neck has been tight for some time now and getting this was making it difficult to breath and swallow all the stuff in my neck. One evening I was not sure if I should take the chance of sleeping, but I just had many pillows and drank alot of water. I also have now had that thing that you get in your ear/ears when planes are taking off (what is the English word for that?) I´ve had that for a few days now, not SO bad but it is a feeling of being locked up in my head?? Because I hear my hoarse voice inside my head and I can´t speak in high tone (I´ve teenagers so I NEED my voice back). They love it, I think :-)

Please tell me what you think..

My best,
Dagun

It is well documented in research that any infection, and especially upper respiratory infections like a cold or flu and trigger a flare.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Dennis
Dagun:

Have you talked to a doctor or ear specialist about your ear? This feeling of pressure could indicate an infection (fluid in your middle that cannot escape). Regarding your continued throat discomfort: has a doctor looked down there to see what's going on? Swallowing is a very complex process. Someone should make sure all your parts are functioning correctly if this feeling continues.

Hugs,
Jane
I hope by the time you see this you will have had a good night's sleep.  The description of "floating with tears on and off" immediately makes me think of a case of some type of virus taking over your body. If it were the true influenza (flu) you would not be typing at your computer.  Flu makes you either think you are dying or wishing you were dying.  

Please don't let this go on much longer, give your doctor a call and check if you need to be seen. At least they might be able to give you something to treat your symptoms.

feel better,
L
Hi Dagun, how are you feeling now? A bit better, I hope! My guess would be the same as Lulu in that this is likely to be some kind of virus but I would pop to the doctor's to be on the safe side. Are they doing any further test's to check for ms? Zoe x
Thank you all, I was just coming home from the ER (not because of me, but my DH and I that was feeling so sorry for myself, that should teach me ;-) ). Spent a whole day there, but he will be home tomorrow.

Yes, Lulu this has probably just been a bad cold I´ve been having, not a flu. But the thing is, that I was trying to ask you all about, is about the tingling getting extra bad on left side of face. And the burning eye and nostril, because I read about burning eye and a nostril at the same side could be a part of the paresthesia (tingling) so that is what I was wondering if any of you had heard of. I know because I´m not English I can be misunderstood easily, so sorry for that mess.

I´m just wondering about all of this, because I´ve seen here that peoble´s MS gets worse when they are sick and I´m not diagnozed. Then I was thinking this is the first time I get sick since this all started, and I got this bad paresthesia (burning eye/nostril and bad tingling) does it tell me anything?  Does it fit to any of you? But ofcourse everybody gets it so different, so maby not. And I was also wondering if the ear pressure (it does not hurt like the fluid in ears would) could be nerve connected?

So if you think I make any sense let me know, also if I don´t :).

Dagun