Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and diet sodas

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and diet sodas

I was recently diagnosed with MS, after two MRIs and a spinal tap (which showed lesions). My daughter recently sent me an article on MS symptoms caused by diet sodas and artificial sweetners. I have been off all diet products for one week now and don't feel much difference. I went to another doctor recently, and he said he didn't think I had MS and then asked if I drank diet sodas - then not another word about it. After the examination I told him that the reason I hadn't started with my injections was because I had heard of the connection of an MS diagnosis with the intake of artificial sweetners, and that I wanted to give that a try first. He then went in great detail about a collegue of his that has been doing study in that field, and that it is absolutely true! Can you tell me if I have all the symptoms that go with MS as well as lesions, is there a chance that it could still be the artificial sweetners that are causing all this?
This question appears here often. There is no connection between artificial sweeteners and MS. They cannot possibly cause MS lesions.

If you check snopes.com, you will find that this is an urban legend that has been making the Internet rounds for quite a few years now. Certainly no one advocates heavy use of artificial sweeteners or artificial anything, but there is no medical evidence supporting the MS idea. I do understand how concerned you must feel, but please don't believe that stopping aspartame, etc., will cure your disease. I hope you will start your injections right away. If you have any doubts, consult your neuro as soon as you can. Not taking your meds is much more risky. Good luck.

ess
I would probably turn my back on that second doctor and run, not walk, away from his delusions!  You were better off with the doctor that diagnosed you with MS and you need to get started on your meds a.s.a.p.!

I am so sorry that you have had an MS diagnosis but if  you get on your meds you will have a better chance of slowing down the progression of the disease.  

In my opinion, acceptance of this disease is difficult at the best of times but I don't want to see you miss out on the care you need due to a falsehood made by a questionable doctor.  Please go back to the neuro that diagnosed you and discuss it with him if you have further questions...Please!

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
Hey there.  I have been given, from family, friends, the community at large, all sorts of causes for ms.  I, personally, have NEVER used artificial sweeteners.  I don't like the taste of any of them, and I certainly don't like the fact that they go right through you.  

If it were only that simple a fix.  But, as was mentionned, it is one of those urban legends, like mercury fillings, etc.  

I went through a brief period of thinking I may be suffering from low level chronic carbon monoxide poisoning.  Our water tank WAS emitting low levels, but, I have no idea for how long.  It could have been as long as three years, when the old detector acted up and was replaced.  The newer one, the one we got in '05, apparently reads lower levels without going off.  It just shows u the number of parts per billiion.  But you have to LOOK at it.  It was behind a piece of furniture.  

We had quite a bit of fun, the fire dept, gas company, direct energy guys were all here.  We got a new hot water heater, when they also all read levels of poisoning.  Course, they shut it off that night, within a half hour of me calling them to ask what the numbers meant on the little box, LOL

I went to my gp with this, he dismissed it abruptly.  But, he did check into it , and then had his secretary call me and let me know that I likely would have had to ahve been unconcious to prove anything, so, let it go.  So, I did.  I figured, like he said, that once the problem was fixed, if I got better, that was the cause.  I haven't , it wasn't.

Sorry, if things were that easy, we wouldn't all be here.  Take comfort in what we can help you with in here, and know that it's not as bad as you think, honest.  :)

Erica
Poppycock!  

Ditto what the others said.  If you see the 2nd guy again, ask him what his colleague's name is, and when the study was done.  Was it a scientific, FDA approved study?  Where are the findings published?

I would love to have this guy be completely embarrassed for having lied to you.

Stick around, we'll set you straight.  I hope you consider the injections more seriously.  Even if you don't have symptoms, the disease is still active.  This is not meant to alarm you, but to let you know how important treatment is, even if you're not feeling badly.

Hang tight and let us know if you catch him in his big fib!

Zilla*
My Mother-in-law tried to tell me that all my symptoms are caused by aspartame poisioning. I intake very little artificial. Aspatame is a natural chemical. She assumes that I keep my weigh under control by eating diet foods loaded with Aspartame, which I don't. She even sent me several emails about it. None of them were scientific or proven. I however found a very goos MSNBC artical called "Killer Diet Sodas". It said that you would have to drink 20 diet sodas a day to be toxic. She replied by saying that she still believes the other articals & that she'll help me get down to the real cause of my issues. Truly & sadly I think if I am dxed with something, she won't be so pityful with her issues.
Jen
I'm with Zilla; ask to see the documented evidence of his claims.

db1
Hi trixi - welcome,

I'm with the others. . you didn't do this to yourself honey. . promise.  I beat myself up a bit thinking there was something i must of done, or something I could do to fix it. There's not.  Just have to do what you can to stop progression.

stick around, and welcome, welcome, there is a lot to learn here.

SL
I'm sorry about your mother-in-law. Some people are just fixated, and no matter what evidence you offer, they have their own agenda. Scientific data means nothing to them. I hope you can just nod politely for the sake of family harmony, but pay no other attention to her comments. If you get a diagnosis she doesn't agree with she'll find another, so don't let that bother you. Instead, hang out here with us.

ess
I NEVER use sweetners either.  If it is not real sugar I do not eat it!

LA