MS and exposure to Staph Infection
My grandfather had a staph infection while hospitalized. i may have been exposed as i now have MS since 2007 and ulcerative colitis since 2006.  Do you think i could be tested for a staph infection?  what type of test should i ask for?  THank you.
Unless you're immune compromised, you're probably OK. Staph opportunistically will go systemic in immune compromised individuals who may have a method of ingress through a fissure in the skin. In other words, if you're taking meds that suppress your immune system and have a cut or something in your skin, you might want to check with your doc. But the things don't just leap off of people and onto you.

My 89-year-old grandmother, who has been living with MS for decades, developed a methicillin-resistant staph aureus (MRSA) infection (from the home she's in), but she came through it OK.

If you're concerned, ask your doctor whether or not prophylactic antibiotics would be in order. Of course, overRx of these things is how we got that superstaph bug in the first place.

E