Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and fibromyalgia?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and fibromyalgia?

Just wondering who on the board might have diagnoses of both MS and fibromyalgia. What are your most common symptoms of both?

And a question for the medical experts here: does having one of the above disorders predispose you to having the other?
I've been diagnosed with both (fibro first), but my neuro told me I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Deb
There are several members here that have MS and Fibro.

I am one of those. I was dx'd with fibro for 15 years, untill 5 weeks ago
when I ended up getting dx's with MS

I have not had the opportunity to ask my nero if my old doctors could
have made a misdiagnosis.  so much else to deal with right now.

I know one person that has had MS for years and had Been Dx'd
with Fibro for only the last four years so she has both.

I do believe  Fibro can stand alone and  MS can stand alone  or
you can have them both.
Im not so sure that there has been any info from the medical
society, making any direct links between the two.

altho in my opion it is sounding rather common on the board here
that alot of people have both.   (im thinking what came first the
chicken or the egg).
Wish I could be more help.     hope you can get this sorted    Gollie
PS  My last post was in answer to you predispose question.

As far as symtoms (symptoms) and flares I am still trying to sort that out myself

Gollie

My doctor thought I might possibly have FMS.  The problem was I didn't have all of the trigger points needed for a FMS dx.

I was diagnoised with Psoriatic Arthritis.  I think that DX is probably accurate as I do have psoriasis and some arthritis.  I have some nail pitting that would support the PA diagnosis.  

LA
hi there i was dx with m.s in june 06 then fibro in jan 08 i also have CFS i do belive people can have more than one auto-immune disorders hope u are doing well love lizxxxx
I would love some medical info on this also, and members here chimming in again it is one of my biggest questions. I am in limbo but pre 1997 I was given Fibro dx before it was considered a real DX in the medical books, then I was given Lupus, then RA,
For the past few years I have thought I had MS, but did not think you could have both as Lupus had been ruled out in 03, This year my RA tests show nothing lately.
I have been treated for Lupus, and RA in years past.

Now I think (waiting for Neuro to confirm) It will be either Fibro and MS or RA and MS
I had lesions in 03 being re-tested now.Also many symtoms (symptoms) that do not cover the MS dx and many that do....... like a really confusing circle is it not?

My mother has Fibro, and Chemical Sensitivies and CFS, but after taking our histories last night I think she has Fibro and MS and possibly.

Gollie's right not sure what came first the egg or the basket.

Good luck great question I wonder if any one in the medical field is doing research?

I hope my post made sense I am in a Cog fog!
Mary
I've had a Fibro dx since 2003, and possible MS. I recently developed chemical sensitivities, and I also suffer from arthritis.  I'm thinking maybe all of this stuff blossoms from what ever triggered the first ailment. This is just my guess, but once you're immune system is damaged it appears that alot of stuff goes haywire.  Maybe one day they'll come up with a new dx that wraps all of it into one.

I'm always in a fog too mary, so you have company. :)
Hi Sunnygirl,
Yes that makes sense why don't the doctors just put it that way to us?
That once the immune system is confused the rest of our bodies go crazy, instead of telling us nicely that it may all be in our head?

not trying to be negative here but your comment on maybe one day they will wrap it all into one dx, well I think for some us that have had NOT great doctors they did "it's all in your head, all those symtoms (symptoms) don't match what is in the book!" :-)
I like your positive outlook better!

if you need any help with chemical sensitivities email me or just cause you can email but my mom has learned so much on them what works for her etc... not experts here by any  means!
Good luck and thank you sunny,
Mary
I totally agree with you Mary. But, I think that would take time, and effort for them to explore. Instead it's easier just to write us off. Plus alot of doctors have "God syndrome". They think if you are informed that you are telling them how to do their job. You literally have to drop clues and hints so that they figure out what's going on. I can't say for instance "Oh, I think I might have symptoms of Lupus. Can you test me for that?"  I have found you can't even say you read something online that sounds like what's ailing me. Right away I'm shot down that maybe I need to stop reading so much.. lol Ok, well, excuse me for knowledge, I'll "dumb it down" :P

I'd love to talk about the chemical sensitivity thing. I have been having alot of issues with it, and it's gotten worse over the months.

Thanks so much, Mary.... hugz