Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and joint pain and swelling

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and joint pain and swelling

I woke up three days ago with knee stiffness and pain. The next two days I continue to have swelling and pain. Can this be due to MS?
hi Susu8, welcome to the forum here.  I hope you will find the information beneficial - we're  a pretty friendly bunch, too.

The swelling of your joints is not associated with MS - the MS is in your central nervous system and does not affect the joints and tissues and ligaments this way.  Have you been checked for some of those other  autoimmune diseases like arthritis or lupus?  

Just because we have MS doesn't mean we can't have other things going on too.

Welcome again!
Lulu
One other thought occured to me today - this could be MS related in the way that we sometimes walk differently, compensating for leg or hip problems.  

Walking incorrectly can cause the strain on joints - and that can cause the pain and inflammation.

so I guess in an indirect way this type of trouble could be MS related.

-L
I have huge issues with my knees and hips too and Lulu is right it can be caused by an awkward gait and any number of other things but is usually not directly caused by the MS but as a result of the MS - if you follow me.

Mine is caused by weak muscles on one side resulting in over compensation on the opposite side accompanied by an awkward gate - oh yes and arthritis on one knee too!

You need to get it checked out though - no matter what the cause.

Good luck
Yes, the pain and swelling in the joints can be from M.S.  It is an INFLAMMATORY disease. Google MS and joint pain.  We learn to walk in a way that causes stress on our ankles, kness, leds and hips.  My ankles and knees are the worst if I over do it.  I keep several jel packs frozen for daily use.   MS effects everything one day or another.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Can-neuropathy-cause-swelling/show/756145

Extensor Spasticity
Another result of the damage to the motor neurons is increased spasticity of muscles, meaning that muscles tend to spontaneously contract. In some cases, a patient may not be able to consciously relax the contracted muscle. The knees are affect when spasticity occurs in the quadriceps, which are the large muscles on the front of the legs, or the adductor muscles, which are smaller muscles on the inside up the upper legs. When these muscles contract and do not release, the knees are forced to straighten and remain locked in that position, explains the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Flexor Spasticity
Patients with multiple sclerosis may alternatively experience the opposite problem of the knees becoming locked in the bent position. This locking of the knees is caused by contraction of the hamstrings, which are the long muscles located on the rear of the upper leg, and the hip flexors, which are the muscles located on the top of the upper thigh, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society explains.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/214566-multiple-sclerosis-symptoms-in-the-knees/#ixzz1OkognRfL
MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System, not the joints.  MS can cause spasticity.  . MS can not directly cause joint swelling.  Even if you have MS, you have to rule out other things like Arthritis. We can not blame every medical issue on MS.  For some PwMS, the large doses of steroids can even lead to aseptic necrosis of the hip joint.

MS inflammation is limited to the brain and spinal cord.  Spasticity and its pain has very little to do with inflammation which is why Motrin and the other NSAIDs provide no relief.   Spasticity is the result of the brain loosing sensory feedback from the joint position and muscle strain sensors,

Bob
It IS related to the MS ESP if one has kidney disease like myself! Our bodies are not eliminating the waste we should so YES it IS from the MS.