Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and positive ANA test - Any Ideas?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and positive ANA test - Any Ideas?

My research skills have failed me again, so I'm turning to those of you who are better at it than I am.   My medical workup showed that my ANA was positive and I don't understand why.

Here are a couple of questions that maybe you guys can help me with:  Does a positive ANA have any relevance in diagnostic workup for MS?  I understand that autoimmune diseases like Lupus can mimic MS, but can people with MS have a positive ANA and not have lupus?  

Thanks in advance.

Julie
Yes... I'm not a Dr...but I think a positive ANA means inflammation... I don't think it is relevant to MS mind you.. I too and I'm sure there are some here that have a positive ANA...with Lupus...they have to do further blood tests...for more antibodies...that show Lupus..

I think this is correct... I'm sure others will join in and correct me if I got this wrong...if I do..sorry..

take care
wobbly
undx
Hi Julie.  I just wanted to say that I too have had 3 positive ANA’s.  I’ve read and heard where a positive ANA can also indicate MS.  My current rheumatologist just got through running more blood tests on me, specific to Lupus, Sjogren’s, & Wegener’s Disease…ALL came back normal.  So, I guess I don’t have Lupus.  ALL my symptoms have been neurological, which is why I keep coming back to “MS.”  My MRI’s, taken 2 years ago, were done on a .3Teslsa (notice the decimal point in front of the 3…3/10’s of a whole!), open unit machine.  I’ve found out since that this machine is so weak, that it might not have picked up anything.  I’m asking my neurologist tomorrow, if he will repeat my MRI’s…as they have a 3Tesla (no decimal point!), closed-unit machine here.  Hoping for answers this time.  If not MS, then I’m out of ideas.  Good luck on this long and lonely journey.  Message me anytime you want to talk.  ;)
~tj
I've also had positive ANA's and have MS--that's why I was sent to several rheumatologists to figure out what was wrong with me.  However, the ANA was never high in titer.  

The Lupus Handbook states that there are several people with MS that have positive ANA's.  You can have lupus and MS.  However, a low titer ANA is seen in the healthy population without symptoms.  

If your ANA's have been low in titer, you probably don't have lupus.  Typically, people with Sjogren's also have very high titer ANA's.  

Yes, lupus can mimic MS--you can have neurological symptoms with it.  Sjogren's also mimics MS as well and can cause white spots on an MRI.  A rheumatologist can sort things out for you.

Deb
The information was very helpful.  My titer's don't seem to be that high, really borderline in my opinion.  They did the test 2 times 2 months apart and both were positive.  The last time I had my ANA checked was when I saw a rheumy 4 years ago and it was negative then.  If I weren't having neurological symptoms then I think I would probably be in the healthy people with positive ANA group, but since I do have multiple symptoms and clinical findings it may be something autoimmune going on.

MS is autoimmune isn't it?  

Thanks you guys.  If you learn anything else, please let me know.

:)Julie
My 1st ANA was 1:160, then my 2nd ANA was 1:640, and my 3rd (recent) ANA was 1:160 again.  My 2nd ANA was what had all my doctors thinking that I must Lupus or Sjogren’s.  However, additional bloodtests showed that I do NOT have Lupus or Sjogren’s.  Since ALL my symptoms are neurological as well, I keep coming back to MS.  I’m hoping for answers soon.  I’m so tired of being on this roller coaster ride!!   Good luck Julie!
~tj
An ANA test by itself means little.  They usually do a SED rate and a RA factor test along with the ANA.  This is to test for inflammation in the body.  If all three are positive, then you are probably dealing with something like arthritis.  In my son in law who has Lupus, all three of these tests came back positive.  In my granddaughter with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, all three of these tests came back positive.

The ANA by itself does not really tell the doctor much without the other blood tests.  I have MS and I have had a positive titier once and my last titer was 1:160 which is considered normal in the grand scheme of things.  My RA and SED rate were within the normal range also.  And I DO have arthritis.  Just not bad enough to show positive on blood work.

Hope this helps a little.

Best Wishes,
Heather