Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and rectal pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and rectal pain

I am limbo lander but before started being worked up for MS I was dx with proctalgia fugax, or basically severe rectal pain.  COmes out of no where.  Supposed to last only less than 5 minutes but mine lasts about 30 minutes.  Anyway, my leg has been bothering me a lot the past 2 months.  Keeping sx diary but I noticed last night when I was having the rectal pain, my left leg was also feeling that same throbbing asleep feeling.  Just wondering if other dx's people or undx have also been dx with this.  
hi fdmh,

It would not surprise me if the rectal pain you have is associated with your MS (if you have that)  and not proctalgia fugax .  Those types of spams can be very unsettling.

Pains, especially sharp shooting pains out of nowhere in that region are pretty common with MS patients.  Women also report having the same type of pain in the vaginal area.  

be well,
Lulu
Hi fdmh,

Sorry to hear about all of your pain.  I'm not yet dx either, I don't get the rectal pain, but I do get the pain in the vaginal area, as Lulu described along with some numby feeling there, only last  a minute or two at a time.  I do have Fibro, and they think Lupus, now they aren't sure, they are thinking maybe MS, and not Lupus.  Have only started having  these horrible stabbing pains, this year though when all of the other MS symptoms started.  Meanwhile, supposedly dx with Lupus 7 yrs now. Personally, I don't think it's from Lupus.  We'll see.  Hope you feel better.  
Let us know, if you come up with anymore info?   Hang in there!  Sandie
i get those spasms there, that general area and the in between. i have had to lay down and moan it out and eventually it lets up.

at one time i had thought it might be from a tail bone issue. i have since become ENLIGHTENNNNNNNNNNNED by this forum.

i will add, these type spasms knock me down. i have to lay down, roll back and forth, and it subsides. some last not very long, others will ruin the whole day almost due to i'm like drained aftwards.

anothe storm we ride out as no meds i have will instantaneous release these.

My sister has MS and rectal pain  This is debilitating to her.  Have any of you tried anything that has helped with the pain.  Her neurologist has tried pain medication but none have helped.  
Am I allowed to say I am so sorry that you have a pain in the bum?

I am only trying to make you smile and this message is sent with genuine compassion and just hope things improve for you soon and that you have good pain relief.

Best wishes

Sarah
I am a 56 yr old from male in Florida who has rectal pain. Maybe different from you is the fact that I have constant rectal and back pain which moves from those areas into the rest of my body.  Often will have episodes of severe and unsettling spasms where I feel like the devil has a whip of fire attached to my bottom...

I feel I have been a lucky person because one of the side effects from the pain is penal erection.  My girl is happy about that!!!I AM NOT JOKING!!! However, the pain is so severe, I would gladly give that up, but not her.

I have also been lucky enough to have been seen by Doctors at the MAYO Clinic in Jacksonville, FL who have prescribed a mass of medicines to take in rotation to help with the pain.  Such as Tramadol, Gabapentin, and Topiramate with vitamin B,D, iron,  and IBUPROFEN. However, the only true substance I have found that kills the pain is cocaine. Again, I am not joking! But, I am not one to break the law or advocate its use.

I give you this info. because my pain has been continuous for the last 2 years and there is really no end in sight. My wish is that these types of social networks may help us normal people who are not rich and cannot pursue alternative treatments in various countries.

Good luck to all of you, my friends.
Hi CRINC,
These MS pains can come in all shapes and places as you have found out.  I hope you have relief from it and have talked to your doctors about alternative drugs.  Please be honest with them if you are using any street drugs to help, this is very very important since it may conflict with your other treatments and even put you in danger of drug conflicts.

best,
Lulu
I hate to admit this, but when I read your post, a lightbulb went on in my head and I now have realized that I have from time to time, have experienced what you stated in regard to rectal pain.  However, mine never lasted long enough to alert my doctor about it. It was a transitory feeling and it would go away within seconds of happening.

It's funny that those unprecedented pains in that area were never considered anything but old age aches and pains (for me at least).  

You on the other hand who is diagnosed with MS, can be explained away.

Best wishes to you.

Lisa
I have these pains, still unDx for MS. My Dr. Prescribes Hyomax. It works my pain last in excess of 45 mins and very diabillitsting. If I take the meds on onset it can knock it down to 15 minutes. Also I would like to suggest you run a warm bath water and stay in until the pain subsides. It helps A Lot!