Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS and urinary issues

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS and urinary issues

I have been dx'd with MS since 2004 but only in the last 2-3 years I have been experiencing urinary hesitancy.

Here's what I do: I sit on the loo and wait for it to flow. It can take as little as 1-2 mins and as long as... well, a long time before the bladder empties itself. There have been times when I sit on the loo with a full and bursting bladder and only a little comes out and although its just a drip, the discomfort is a little less. Soon enough the feeling will come and I'll again go to the loo to urinate. In short, my bladder may empty in one 'sitting' or over 2-3 'sittings'.

On two occasions I've drunk a bit of alcohol and the bursting-bladder feeling is so intense but *nothing* comes out. Or sometimes just a drip will flow, and then nothing else. On these two occasions I felt like I wouldnt survive unless I got to a hospital for temporary catheter use. I remember one night after drinking I went to the loo 6 times to urinate only once. The first two times nothing came out, the next three times just drips came out, and the sixth time it flowed and the relief was literally priceless.

I've learned to schedule my moments for going to the loo, but sometimes its so unpredictable that the urge to urinate comes up at the wrong time, yet nothing flows and I'm far from home or a clinic or am at a friends social function.

I wanted to know what others do when they experience a full bladder but its a difficult task to actually urinate. I've tried some meds (flotral) given by my doctor but this doesnt work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Just to add, a sonography was performed and no UTI's found.
Hi squinun -

I can relate to your issue. I list urinary hesitancy as one of my most annoying symptoms. I wonder if you could try other meds. Different people respond well to certain drugs and not so well to others.

I use Flomax (tamsulosin) and it provides great relief. It looks like it's similar to Flotral. I use the max dosage (.8mg/day). It can take up to 4 weeks for the benefits to kick in.

Kyle
Definitely give your urologist a call, as Kyle says, there are solutions
Speaking strictly for myself, I find alcohol or marijuana tends to amplify urinary hesitancy. Do drink enough water, and if you have a couple of drinks, make sure you have a big glass of water between drinks.
For me it's at night or in the morning that I have trouble emptying my bladder.  It's take a min or two like you to start and I end up back on the pot about 5 mins later to go again!  Sometimes even 3 times before I'm good to go!  Lol. It's so frustrating.  It's could be worse so ill take it.    Hope you can find a fix that works for you :)

Jeny