MS hot spot
Hi everyone.  I was reading incidence of MS statistics by state and found out two interesting things.  One is that Eastern Washington State is a hot spot for MS and  researchers from Oregon Health and Sciences University are doing a study to figure out why.  Also, the state with the highest incidence of MS is New Hampshire!!  I am interested in statistics and just thought  I would share!
Craig
You will also find out that Canada has the highest incidence of MS in the world.  Guess where I lived for 3 years?  Canada!

Researchers believe that it has something to do with a colder climate and being confined indoors because of it.  Add in whatever heating system you use and they "think" it may have exposed suspectible people to a "toxin."  At least that's what I have read.

I also lived in Waltham, Mass as a child, which is another cold state, so I wonder if researches are onto something.  Of course, there are plenty of people from Southern areas that will tell us, that they have MS and have NEVER been to a cold climate.  So many things to consider.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Heather
The Consortium for MS Centers has a little blurb on their home page stating that the incidence of MS in Maine is 1 in 400!!!  2 1/2 times the national average.  Other locations of extremely high incidence in the world were the Scottish Islands of Orkney and Shetland  incidence - about 12%.  I'll look it up later.  I'll do  a little blurb on this .  It is interesting.  I have a great resource on it.  Quix
I've also read about the "hot" spots and increased incidence in the colder climates.   I've heard something about vitamin D possibly being indicated in MS.

Well, I'm one of those who have never been to a cold climate.  I was born and raised (and still living) in sunny Southern California.  I've spent much of my younger years soaking up the sun.  I have the skin cancer to prove it too.

I wonder how I got so lucky...  :(

I live in Ohio and the little town I live in of 3000 people 54 of us have MS , a couple of smaller towns near us also have a high rate of MS.We call our location MS alley.

T