MS lesion question
What is a "new non enhancing lesion"?  I had an MRI yesterday.  My doctor's nurse called today to tell me that I have one new non enhancing lesion on my brain.  She really could not explain to me what it was but said that it kind of means that it is not active.  Has anyone had this?  Do you know what this means?  I am not scheduled to see the neurologist again until November but would like an answer now.
Hi and sorry you were told this by a nurse over the phone.

I don't know your history, but it seems to me like you should have a meeting with your neuro to discuss MRI in person - with him/her- as he also looks over your MRI (the actual pictures) with you.

An enhancing lesion means you are having active progression of disease.  Non enhancing means it is not active, but is older.  

If it were me - I would call my neuro's office and ask for an appointment to go over this.  I don't know where you live, I live in US - and usually the neuro does MRI and follows up with appt. to go over results.

It seems pretty cold that a nurse called with this info -!!  Do you like this neuro?  Maybe time for a new one if this is how they do business.  UNACCEPTABLE!  That is what my daughter always tells me to say when I tell her things like this - she has taught me to be a good advocate for myself > LOL

Best of luck to you -
Carol
Carol is right that this means the MRI shows evidence of disease progression (even though in MS the progression is continuous even when it isn't visible on MRI or by symptoms).  

The non-enhancing part of it means that the area didn't look 'brighter' after you were given IV contrast.  This means the contrast wasn't able to cross the blood brain barrier (a GOOD thing) and this new area has probably been there at least six weeks.

It would help to know a bit more about you if you are comfortable sharing. Are you diagnosed with MS?  Why was this MRI ordered?  Are you being treated?  Did the nurse mention any new directions from the doc or a need to move up your appointment?  

It is becoming more common for people to get test results with big time gaps between testing and office appointment.  It doesn't make sense but we hear it quite a bit here.  The circumstances can make a big difference in whether I'd suggest you try to be seen earlier than November.