Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS profiled on W-Five this weekend

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS profiled on W-Five this weekend

Saturday at 7 p.m. (check local listings)
"W5 takes an exclusive and intimate look at the reclusive life of one-time starlet Annette Funicello. Annette’s Story features her husband and caretaker, Glen Holt, as he lifts the curtain on the cruel and devastating effects that MS has had on his wife, and reveals his quest to fund research into a controversial treatment."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/
Thanks for posting this.  I will be looking for it.
Tammy
I'm not sure if it'll run in the U.S.  I should have mentioned that.  I guess perhaps for those with satellite?  The network is CTV.  I know the Americans couldn't access a previous program on their website either, as it's restricted to IPs in Canada.  Hopefully you will be able to view it on TV, but either way I will watch and provide a summary here.
I haven't been able to find it.  I'll look forward to your summary.
Try this link:  

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/annette-funicello-her-life-with-multiple-sclerosis-1.984202

Apparently those outside Canada shold be able to view it.  There is an extensive write up of the segment as well.

Really shocking to see how Funicello's MS progressed.  
Thank you for alerting us to this, deebs.
.
The last I had read about Annette she was in a wheelchair, but I had no idea she was as debilitated as she is now. This is the worst outcome from MS I've ever seen, really. The poor thing appears to be in a vegetative state, though her admirable husband doesn't think so.

I admire him a great deal for raising awareness, and funds, even though nothing is likely to help Annette much now. I only wish so much emphasis hadn't been placed on CCSVI,; false hope for so many.

Recently I read a discussion here about how MS can be fatal. If Annette did not have so much loving care, including suctioning of her saliva and a tube for feeding, she certainly would have succumbed by now. MS is not directly deadly, but the side effects can be fearsome.

Feeling somber and fortunate simultaneously,

ess

I'm actually rather sorry I viewed this.  I have no doubt Glen Holt loves his wife deeply.  I do wonder however what made him believe she would have chosen to expose herself to raise funds for MS research or treatment.  If this was anything she desired doesn't he think she would have invited the cameras into their home herself at some point in the past 15 years?

I do wonder....
... if Annette Funicello is cognitively aware but 'locked in' by the complete dysfunction of a body that allows her brain no opportunity for expression.

... why Mr. Holt doesn't know the name of the drug he claimed "almost killed her" within five days of starting it.

... what her children thought of this.

... why that nurse allows a husband to be in charge of hair styling.

In the end, I know now how I will respond the next time someone says, "You have MS?  But you look so good!"  I'll just tell them, "Thank you.  Many of my symptoms aren't visible.  Some people with MS aren't near as fortunate."
Thanks for posting this DB. I've looked online through the years to see what her status was. Reading some of the posts, I want to watch, but know it will be harsh reality for some.
I watched it, and too feel there are multiple causes or contributors to decline in MS.

While I never hear of how many MSers actually have the insufficiency, and also those comparisons to regular folks, I very much look forward to the day we all know those facts.

Part of my story is in 2007, for those who may not know, or remember.....(before there was a peep of this Italian doctors "theory") I felt like blood was not flowing to my head.

During that exact sensation, I had nothing, could not communicate, could not react, nothing. They were sensations that went on and off through every moment of my awake time through every day. It was horrible. It's what brought me to the doctor. I explained it to them.

I was given no explanation of that sensation and loses except for MS.

Time will surely tell the tale. Hard to see Annette in that state. Her extent of brain damage was not mentioned. I'd bet my paycheck it's severe. Her position, arms, head, etc. inabilities, is the exact same as a cousin of mine who was born breach and suffered brain damage due to delivery. He lived until adulthood but only by the hand of my great Aunt who cared for him every second of the day. Seeing that world first hand....

I'll just say, this man is a "saint." And, through her battle, I hope he is able to bring about much needed awareness, and reason for all.
-Shell
I wanted to point out a few other things that were a bit off.

The mention of MS and Immune system "failure" very incorrect.

CCSVI found in others was mentioned without a number (but, least saying it that way makes it legit).

Like Ess, I feel it could be false hope, but in that sitch, I'd opt for likely anything also.

Mary wonders, and so do I if this is indeed her wishes to be exposed in her home. I'm doubtful we will ever know.  I do wish there were a secondary, if even a two minute piece of stats on disease modifiers, and the availability when she was diagnosed. That would have been helpful hope to many, instantly.