Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS symptoms cervical spine issue?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS symptoms cervical spine issue?

For the past 7 months I've been experiencing symptoms such as dizziness; pins and needles in my left hand, back, and face; slurred speech; upper body tremors (mostly back of neck and head); stiff neck (worse in the morning and gets "easier" to turn as day passes.  Feels like someone is lightly choking me); weird sensations depending on position of neck and head; "swollen head" (feels like I've been hanging upside down for 10 mins); extremely light headed; and recently very unsteady gait (afraid to drive at times it's so bad.  Feels like I'm drunk even though I haven't drank in 3 weeks).  I just had an M.R.I done a week ago and had an appointment with a neurologist.  He said my M.R.I. looked fantastic and that there is no way I have MS.  Then 4 days later I get a paper from the hospital saying that they found changes in periventricular white matter in my brain...Anyways, I was wondering if these symptoms could be because of a herniated disc or disease in my spine.  Is it possible to have MS lesions in my spine, but not in my brain?  I've been looking up all of my symptoms for months now and it always points to MS.  My neurologist said since I can walk in a straight line (like the test the cops give you when they suspect you're drunk) I can't have MS.  This seems a little weird to me.  He told me to get an M.R.I. done of my neck and spine...but he doubts they'll find anything!  Seems like the worse thing I could've done was go to see him.  He just says he don't know what's wrong
I would be questioning the Neuro about HIS interpretation of the brain MRI and what paperwork the hospital sent to you.  I would say to the Neuro, either the brain is clear or it isn't.  Apparently it is NOT!

If you have a herniated disk and the disk material is pressing on any area of the spnal space,..yes you can have problems.  The disk material can bulge out and push on the spinal cord or cause stenosis of the spinal space. (narrowing)  I have this porblem with four disks in my spine, but I also have an MS lesion in my upper spine.  I DO have MS and was diagnosed over a decade ago.

You need to get back in touch with this Neuro and tell him that you want to discuss your brain MRI report.  Find out why he says normal and the report says otherwise.  If this guy isn't going to give you straight answers, then you will have someone who will.

There is obviously something wrong...you know that and apparently the report says that.  Now you need to find a doctor that can figure that out too.

I am sorry that you are going through all of this....This happens to so many people, I want to pull my hair out and scream.  You DESERVE answers and deserve them now.

Heather

Yeah, it's pretty depressing not knowing what the hell is going on with me.  Especially as it's gradually getting worse.  I was kinda hoping I had MS.  At least I would not be wondering what is wrong with me anymore. I am only 24 years old and I can't help but wonder if I'm dying and don't even know it.  I just e-mailed the neurologist about why I just recieved this letter in the mail.  Thanks a lot for your response Heather.  I appreciate it.
Hi there. It's really normal to almost hope you have MS. It would be much better if it all turned out to be some kind of little blip that could be fixed in 5 minutes, but since that isn't in the cards, we at least want SOME diagnosis. Limbo is wearisome at best, maddening at worst.

Just concentrate on seeing the best doctor possible. If that's not the one you have now, then read on this forum about how to find a better one.

Good luck.

ess
I know how depressing all of this wait and see game is affecting you.  It must be awful to feel like "you are dying and don't even know it."  I know that feeling.  I hazard to guess that you are NOT dying, but just feeling overhwelmed at the prospects of possibly having MS and what it means for your future.  This is a totally normal reaction.  You are so young...this is so unfair.

Sweetheart,  we will stand by you and with you, through every step of the process, no matter what that process is.  You will never be alone.  Most of all, we encourage you to express your feelings and emotions, as you wouldn't believe how many of us feel the same way.

You are not alone honey and will NEVER be alone, as long as this forum exists.  Keep posting and today would be a good day to call that doctor with your report in hand.  Find out what is going on.  If you can't find the answers for him, it's time to find a doctor that CAN answer your questions.  This "limboland," is hard on anyone.

We are with you dear heart,
Heather
Thanks a lot Heather.  It helps to know I'm not alone.
The neurologist just e-mailed me back and said that they found a tiny spot of hyperintensity at the posterior horn of the lateral ventricle.  Whatever that means... and to e-mail him if I have any new symptoms