Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS uncontrolled muscle tension

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS uncontrolled muscle tension

I have been diagnosed with fibromylgia (fibromyalgia) possible MS and I noticed the other day at work I wasn't doing well. My muscles are tense always, but I laid my arms out in front of me on my desk which was cool and it felt good to make my arms cool, so the other night my shoulders neck and back were hurting really bad so I went and got a cool wet hand towel and laid it across my neck back and shoulders and it was a great relief. This totally amazed me, so that night instaed of a hot shower I took a fairly cool shower and it made me feel great instead of like lead with a hot shower. I have to go to a rheumatoligist at the end of the month because the doctor says I have an autoimmune disease besides fibro and we need to do more test to get better control of things.But the cool towel and shower just really was great. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Yes I have, cool showers and towels seem to help me so much more than warm or hot. I have to sleep in a hospital bed and I keep a small fan attached to the rail and it blows right where I need it to at the time.  This also helps me a lot. I hope and pray they can find out what's wrong with you and please keep posting.  The wonderful people here can help in so many ways.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Thanks for your reply and prayers. I have been going through heck for the last 8 weeks, and taking tons of muscles relaxers which none work well but the cool towels and shower are great. This is the longest and most painful episode I have had. And even with taking stuff to help me sleep I am still only getting about 3 hours a night. I told my internal doc the other day to just fix it and he said that with autoimmune diseases your not going to no from day to day what to expect and neither do doctors so try to deal with it the best you can and when something is different or worries me don't hesitate to call day or night. He is a super great doc. Thanks again
hi ladies,
you both are so similar to me, i have fibromyalgia,complex pain syndrome and recently diagnosed ms with possible ms when i was a child.
any  how, i too sleep in a hosp. bed and it helps, but you all should try the CHILLOW. i order it from americamark. its $29.00. its ten more dollars from CHILLOW anyhow, you only add one cup of water one time , move it around, smooth it out and it (pad like a heating pad) and it feels like cool sand. and i sleep on it and it has helped from throwing up etc., because i cant stand to be hot., it literally makes me sick and triggers the ms.
so good luck, please try the chillow., its been a miracle. i put it behind me during the day on the sofa, or even take it in the car with me.

please write and God bless,
shirley
oh, and get off the muscle relaxers if you have any type of respiratory trouble. i have copd,asthma and develope a lot of pneumonias. it darn near almost killed me. it slowed my breathing. its not a good mix with pain meds either.