Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS vs. Fibro or MS -and- Fibro?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS vs. Fibro or MS -and- Fibro?

Back in Dec. '07, when I had the vertigo and hyper reflexes, it was suggested that I see a neuro to rule out MS or fibromyalgia.

So far my tests have come back negative for not having MS.

But the fibromyalgia thing is off the radar. Nobody's mentioned it, I haven't thought about it, didn't pursue it. Just the big MS word.

(For the record, my friend has fibro and my symptoms are nothing like hers, that's why I discounted it so quickly.........)

I've seen where some folks here have both. How do you discern what is what? My MRI's are fine. I read where fibro has no lesions. Should I be looking at something different here, other than obsessing/fixating, uh, researching, yeah that's it, RESEARCHING MS?!

(I am waiting on an appt. with Yale to go to the MS clinic.)

Suzanne
I have MS and Fibro.  It's very easy to tell the huge difference between the two in one aspect of both disease.  In MS, it would be rare for your joint or trigger points to be tender to any pressure.  In Fibro, this is a classic sign.  I forget how many "trigger points" a doctor looks (feels) for, to say that Fibro is a real possibility.

MS as you know if a disease of the brain and spinal cord.  The central nervous system.  Fibro is localized in the areas where the muslce attaches to bone.  The area is inflammed.  If you know about the ANA testing, which measures the degree of inflammation in the body, a person with Fibro AND MS can have a positive "titer."  Mine is 1:60.  And has been for as long as I can remember.

Some of the symptoms of both diseases overlap.  Especially the fatigue that so many with both disorders, talk about.  You also hear people with MS complain about achiness.  This is also true of someone with Fibromyalgia.  The trigger points, I believe, is the key to the differences in the disoders.  I may be wrong.  I am certainly not a medical expert, only a person that suffers from both disorders.

I do understand that more and more, doctor's are discovering that people with MS also have Fibro as a companion.  At least this is what my Neuro tells me.  I think it has to do with the inflammatory process of both disorders.  Still just a guess here.

Have a great day girl....HUGS,
Heather
There ae 18 trigger points that are included in a fibro exam. You must have 11 of the 18 active (or painful) to be diagnosed with fibro, along with other clinical symptoms. And no, fibro doesn't cause lesions...............Hope this helps....Maggie
I was obsessed with "researching" lupus because I was very reluctant to believe that I could have fibromyalgia, which I've been diagnosed with several times by doctors who look at me and go, "oh, woman.joint pain. fibromyalgia."  Recently I had an abnormal MRI and was diagnosed with MS, and even more recently, today in fact! my neuro says I don't have MS.  Now I have no idea what to research!
I was about to post that I did go to my gp today well waiting for my neuro appt to at least talk about my sleepiness and pain.
He clearly did not read my chart as he said well I think it could be fibro (even tho I have lesions) and lets start there with better sleep until you see the neuro. I just kept my mouth shut. I have been told fibro before this guy and a host of others now ruled out. Any how he gave me another sleeping aid, told me more sleep would help with pain and fatigue--- uh he already had me on sleep med!!!! He said nothing for pain as it is not good for fibro people and that he is not saying I dont' have MS he is saying that he will let me wait to see the neuro and start with better sleep. Oh he found 3 trigger points, well I know I have more then that but that was the full extent of my appointment. Oh yes a handout on Fibro (uh ya sorry it was funny,  been here done that attitude)

So still sleepy and in pain and confused mad etc... he said the provigil may be good for me if I have MS but if I don't hard to get people off of it so he said no to that no to pain and never looked up what he had done and not done in the past.
I let it go hard to reason with someone who I feel is not going to spend the time to read the chart?

I also think it could be firbro but I have lesions and so many other symtoms (symptoms) including eye sight loss etc...
sorry to come in and whine but you are not alone suzanne.
If there was nothing to stop the progress of MS I would gladly stop going in to doctors but if I can be helped and it is Ms I want to stop this progress,  well I guess I keep going till I find one doc that helps.
waiting and waiting,
Hugs to all
Mary
Hi Suzanne,  I'm just starting to research too and I am preparing my journal for going to the doctor.  I can't remember the site I went to but I did find that almost all the symptoms that I have are on both websites for MS and for Lyme Disease with only one or two discrepancies.  Did you get tested for that?
I've had the blood work (CBC, Lyme, B12, sed rate, can't remember the rest) and all was fine.

I did do a bit of looking around today and found an intriguing thing on when your bp is taken, does the cuff cause pain? That was on fibro.

For me, lately, yes, it is like they are squeezing the thing so hard! Hmmm. I just thought it was the inexperience or particular technique of the person checking the bp. At the pcp's office, my bp was 122/?? and on Sat. I gave blood to the Red Cross, the bp was 96/60-something. I used to think I trended low, then the numbers moved up, so I didn't know what to think, as long as it wasn't too high.

But that is quite a range!

Anyway, about fibro.... I'm not sure what to think. I did see a chart online several weeks ago comparing fibro and MS, will go hunt that down.

Suzanne
I have an overlap between MS and fibro........hmmm...........

http://www.msakc.org/Articles/MSFibroLupus.htm

So now what?

Suzanne
That is a great site, Now what is right. For me I know lupus is ruled out (I think) and I live in Washington so that ups the odds for MS but your right Fibro and MS it all looks the same. I overlap too, very little differance in the two for me.
I am going to take a look at the page they give us for symptoms to take to the doc.
Good information easy to read Thanks,
Mary