Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS vs Sjogren's

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS vs Sjogren's

My primary symptom is memory loss affecting  my ability to function personally and at work. PCP thinks dpression, psychiatric NP does not. MRI shows "multiple periventricular focci of increased T2 FLAIR signal suspect demyelating process possible migranous pallor. Neurologist did LP and EVP and said they were normal except Sjogren's antibodies were high with no explanantion  why and she stated no follow up was necessary, not even repeat MRI in a year. SSA 1.26 SSB 1.66, greater or equal to 50 was positive. ANA less than1.40. I don't not have HTN, migraines, hx of smoking/drinking or any of the other things that can cause white matter changes per my neurologist. Please help me know what might be wrong and what type of MD to see next. I don't know what to do. Thank You, Monica RN BSN
Your MRI indicates that you still need a workup to eliminate MS as a diagnosis, or Sjogren's.  Is the neurologist your regular doctor, or just somebody you were referred to?  I would seek a second opinion - make sure you have your MRI results, blood tests and films.
I agree with obtaining a second opinion.  I did just this and each one of them has a completely different opinion.  (Weird, being that they study the same thing in school, lol!)  There are plenty of other tests that could and maybe should be ran.
Many people here went through one, two, three and even more neuros before finding one who could see the big picture.  I would move on for the next opinion.

Your MRI sounds like it needs to be looked at again - the areas mentioned can be prime hot spots for MS.

goog luck, Lulu
that should be good luck and not goog luck. :-)
Just to add my voice to the choir--second opinion!! from a different neurologist. If that first one didn't want to do any follow-up with an abnormal MRI, that seems VERY unusual. They should always do at least one follow-up. Memory loss is a serious thing. Have you had neuropsychological testing?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nancy
Thank you everyone very much. Nancy, I probably didn't explain my situation well due to my cognitive difficulties. I had MRI, then LP to "rule out" MS which was "negative" except sky high sjogren's antibodies. Now the neurologist states nothing is wrong. She says there can be other causes for the spots on MRI, but I have NONe of the other potential causes and she can't answer why i have the spots then. I also asked since the spots represent white matter changes, could those changes be causing my memory loss even if not due to MS and she said no.  I will get a second opinion, but will probably have to  pay out of pocket according to my insurance.
I can't figure out how to post on the Dr forum, can you help me?
Monica, it sounds like your neurologist is not serving you well at all. You deserve an explanation for memory loss and for the Sjogren's antibodies. I know neurologists can't explain everything, but it sounds like she's given up too easily and is not dealing with your issues.

I don't think the doctor's MS forum is taking questions anymore, and hasn't for a long time (as far as I know).